26

L A N A

I woke up to the sound of pacing in my room. It was fairly distant and I had thought it was in my dream, but as I opened my eyes and saw El pacing around the room wiping at her eyes, I knew exactly what had happened. She made eye contact with me, finally approaching and shaking her head.

"What the hell, Lana." She wiped away her tears, eyes landing on my cheek. I looked down at my pillow to see it was coated in blood. "You promised me this wouldn't happen again."

I sat up, feeling my head throbbing and my face stinging. I stood up, walking towards the mirror where I was shocked to see my face bruised and swollen. It was far worse than I had expected and I just knew I couldn't hide this from my parents.

I looked back to El who folded her arms across her chests and frowned at me. As my mind trailed back to the sight of him holding a knife and plastic bag in hand, I couldn't help the tears welling up in my eyes. I couldn't believe I was that courageous to say that to him. Who knows how angry I could have made him and really ended up dead in a ditch.

"This ends here." El whimpered, running out of my bedroom. I just knew she was going to run downstairs and tell mum and dad everything that had happened.

Suddenly it hit me that this was really happening. I'm sure the moment they found out, the police would come here and more drama would arise at school. I could barely show my face this week, and after all this, I didn't know if I ever wanted to go back again. After laying in my bed for another 20 minutes, I mustered the energy to stand up, heading for the bathroom. I winced in pain as the water touched my skin, knowing I wasn't going to be able to do this.

My heart skipped a beat as heavy footsteps pounded up the stairs. I leaned against the sink, staring out the door waiting for what I was expecting to see. I had only hoped it wasn't dad because I was only standing here in track pants and a sports bra. I heard the door to my bedroom open, followed by footsteps towards the bathroom. However I was even more surprised when I made eye contact with sad green eyes. He stood by the door frame, chest rising and falling heavily.

He stepped into the bathroom, his eyes trailing across my face. I didn't want him to see me like this because I felt so vulnerable under his intense gaze. I closed my eyes as his hand came up to lightly stroke my cheek just under where the cut was.

"Why didn't you think you could come to me." He said softly, his eyes radiating with anger and disappointment.  I shrugged my shoulders, looking away from him. Instantly, he wrapped his arms around me and that was when I completely let go of all the emotion I was holding onto. He kissed my forehead, mumbling how sorry he was.

"You don't have to be sorry for anything." I cried into his chest who only held me tighter. Sniffles could be heard from him and it broke my heart he was crying right now.

"I do." He pulled away, taking my face into his warm hands. "If it wasn't for me, this would never had happened to begin with."

"Har-"

"This is never going to happen again. I fucking can't believe he laid a hand on you. I should have trusted my gut instinct." He said angrily, removing his hands from my face and turning around to head out of the bathroom. I quickly snatched his wrist, my fear coming to life.

"Harry please," I begged, not daring to wipe the tears that had been constantly falling down my face. "Please don't go. H-he's crazy and he's only going to hurt you."

He sighed, turning back around to face me with his red, glossy eyes. "He's not going to get away with this Lana, not over my dead body."

I found myself hiccuping before releasing my hand from his wrist. I expected him to follow with his actions of going to deal with Callum, but instead he closed the door with him and I in the room. He approached me again, lifting me up as if I weighed nothing before placing me on the bench to sit. He opened the cupboard, pulling out a few items and putting them by the sink next to me. He slid his body in between my legs, his eyes flicking back to my lips.

He rubbed some alcohol on a cotton bud bringing it towards my face. "I'm so sorry baby." He whispered before bringing the alcohol towards the cut. I hissed in response but said nothing else. He did a few other things to the areas, telling me I wouldn't need stitches because it wasn't nearly deep enough. He placed a bandage over the affected areas before placing a kiss just under it.

He leaned his face closer, planting his lips against mine, making goosebumps run across my entire body. I wasn't surprised his touch still gave me the same effect as always. I placed my arm around his neck, occasionally feeding my fingers through his hair whilst his hands were placed on my bare waist.

He eventually pulled away, pressing his forehead against mine and closing his eyes. "I wish you had told me." He sighed, pulling away and facing the wall in anger. I knew this talk would eventually follow.

"You would have ended up hurt."

"I don't fucking care what would have happened to me, I care about what happened to you damn it!" He yelled, bringing his palm to smack the wall. I jumped slightly, but thankful he was smart enough not to use his fist and put a hole through our bathroom.

"I-I'm sorry."

"Damn it Lana." He mumbled, pulling his fingers through his hair in stress. All the emotional roller coasters I had been on lately were causing my head to ache heavily. He leaned against the wall, groaning into his hands.

"All this time I thought you had hurt me intentionally as revenge. Who knew I was the selfish bastard who couldn't open his eyes." He continued to beat himself up. I jumped off the seat and approached him who looked back at me with even sadder eyes now, if that was even possible.

I didn't say anything, knowing anything I said to him right now wouldn't change a thing. He would still be feeling like it was his fault. I would have to try again tomorrow when he's calmed down.

I took his hand and led him into my bedroom. I spotted El sitting by the stairs with her eyes closed. I approached her, siting down next to her. She opened her eyes and quickly wrapped her arms around me.

"I'm sorry I broke my promise but I had to."

"I know." I reassured. "Thank you." She nodded her head in response, standing up and heading downstairs. I knew mum would be back soon from the market that she visits every Sunday morning so I had to perhaps prepare myself.

When I entered my bedroom, Harry was opening the dreaded window but keeping the blinds closed. He turned around, taking his bottom lip in between his teeth like he did in habit.

"Come on, you need to rest." He opened the duvet covers for me to lay in.

"So do you." I motioned, who's corner of the mouth twitched slightly in the smallest smile.

I got inside the bed, Harry following and putting the blanket over us. He scooted me closer to him, putting his arms protectively over me as if I'd disappear if he let go. I nuzzled my face into his warm chest, closing my eyes, his scent on his clothes filling my senses. He hummed quietly, making me feel even more drowsier by the second.

"I'd take a bullet or a stab in the chest for you any day." He whispered, his voice low and soft. I hadn't even realised I had missed the feeling of his chest vibrating as he spoke. It was the littlest things I had missed the most about him.

"You will do no such thing."
I responded quietly with the little energy I had left in me.

"I'd do it because I love you." He said clearly, making me open my eyes and repeat in my mind what he had just said. I had a habit of taking things the wrong way, so I really didn't want to make any assumptions.

"Love me because I'm your best friend." I answered, but he only chuckled lightly in response.

"No, just because I love you. I love you with every bone in my body and every cell that lives because of you." He said sweetly, instantly making my stomach erupt with butterflies of nerves and overwhelming emotions.

"What do you mean?" I asked, feeling myself slowly drifting off. He was quiet and if it hadn't been for the vibrations of his voice, I would have fallen asleep instantly and not heard him say his last sentence.

"I love you so much you can't even imagine."