chapter 40

Ghirahim teleported the two of them back to the Gerudo Desert again. As he brought the Dominion Rod into view, a golden ball of light manifested from the top. He then sent the glowing sphere firing toward a certain dune. Sand spurted out, blowing away as the Gate of Time's light shone through.

[Name] stepped into the portal first. She wandered through the black and aqua glows of the clockwork tunnel, only now realizing that they were oddly similar to colors of the Twili tribe. She wondered if that was coincidental or not.

Stepping out of the Gate for a second time, she wasn't surprised by the lack of excitement she felt. Last time, disappointment had ensued seeing a world she was already so familiar with. If nothing but age changed within a span of twenty years, she didn't expect much to in four, either.

Sighing to herself, she waited for her companion to appear beside her.

Moments passed.

Which bled into minutes.

And then the Gate began to close, its entrance concealed by a gentle violet shield bearing the motifs of the Goddesses. [Name] blinked. She ran forward, hand banging on its surface.

"Ghira!" she yelled, before she noticed a crack run down through the Gate's center. It split off in many directions, before the entire thing shattered, shards hurling in every direction. She ducked, hands flying up to shield her head.

When she deemed it safe to glance up againー there was nothing. Besides the obnoxious waves of sand rushing through the wind, she couldn't see a thing. As if the Gate never existed in the first place.

She could practically feel her heart sputtering, alarms blaring in her head. If she couldn't find another Gate, she'd be in her thirties by the time the present year arrived. She wasn't completely thrilled about staying this era.

le meanwhile, earlier

Ghirahim watched as [Name] stepped into the Gate, eyes shutting as he returned the Dominion Rod to inside his cloak. He was about to follow her, when he sensed a presence approach from behind him. He spun aroundー only to greet nothing but the vast stretch of desert.

The presence lingered, however.

It grew closer, closer, until he was able to pinpoint whose scent this was: [Mother].

"Oh?" He smirked, manifesting his narrow sword. "I'm up for a duel."

"Move out of the way," the Yiga woman hissed, suddenly appearing in front of him. She had reattached her mask, now wielding a duplex bow in the place of her scimitar.

"I'm afraid I can't allow that," Ghirahim leered, snapping his fingers. Once his cloak erupted into a flurry of diamonds, he aimed his blade at his opponent.

Said enemy vanished then, before reappearing a few feet away. She pulled the strings of her bow back, before releasing two arrows that spiraled toward the demon. He simply moved aside, evading the attack without breaking a sweat.

He placed a hand on his hip, eyes closing as his lips widened into a cocky grin.

"You've got to try better thー"

"Ah, shit!" The woman cried. Taken aback, he opened his eyes. The deafening thunder of some kind of eruption prompted him to jerk his head around. The arrows [Mother] had so-thoughtfully shot had bombs fastened to them, and made it far enough to hit the Gate. And now, cracks were running through the portal's surface.

"NO!" He screeched, sprinting over to ensure that no serious damage had been done. His heart sunk as it suddenly crumbled down. He didn't know where any other Gates might be; as far as he knew, they were all destroyed.

Realizing nothing could be done to repair the shattered doorway, he backed away. His steps were stumbled and slow. This meant [Name] was also stuck four years ahead of him... And they had no way of returning to present day.

"You..." he growled, whirling around once more to face the Yiga woman. She was just as shaken up as he was, perhaps even more, somehow. Her fingers twitched at her sides.

"I spent years searching for that," she mumbled to herself. "That..." Her fists clenched, before she darted up to Ghirahim. Ready to pummel him in the face. "You stupid idiot! Why would you dodge, knowing that was behind you?!"

He kicked her in the side before she could try anything, and she tumbled to the ground. [Mother] grunted as she rolled over, fist slamming on the desert floor. She tilted her head back, snarling, before teleporting to her feet again. She raised her bow, aiming for the Demon Lord's head.

"Die," she cursed. As Ghirahim dodged, [Mother] quickly substituted her bow for a demon carver that was hidden in a pouch around her thigh. She swung the weapon down at him, a sadistic smile dancing along her lips. "How fitting to murder you with this, the namesake of your own kind."

Ghirahim's eyes narrowed, irritation suddenly getting the best of him. His skin hardened into the dark, glowing shades of charcoal and embers, while his white hair slicked up out of his face. He rarely summoned his final form, however he had had enough of this woman.

...Though he made no move to strike her.

"What?" she cackled. "Feeling sorry now?"

"Tch," he scoffed. He couldn't care less what happened to herーhe was concerned, however, for [Name]. Fed up with this battle, he turned away. Following another snap of his fingers, his body vanished, leaving behind the vague shapes of diamonds.

Having to wait four years before seeing [Name] again was already bad enough, but he also felt obliged now to keep her mother in check.

a/n:

i hope no one takes offense to this

(although that shouldn't be an issue but)

i'm sure most of your mothers are beautiful humans

and not crazy yigas

unless

they are

secretly

//le GASP