Chapter Ten - Catching a Muderer (Not Really...)

Sebastian and I sneak in the alleyways, watching the group of first stringers in front of us. It's almost midnight. Haruhi's probably asleep by now.

The group all walk along like nothing is going to happen. Maybe it isn't, and we have the wrong group of people. But I seriously doubt that.

It is now when I realize that Dame had gone missing. She was there a second ago! Where did she go? Next to me, Sebastian stops.

What? What's wrong? Why did you stop?

Something's off. Dame disappeared. I can't see her.

Me neither. If you can't see her, something's wrong.

I know.

All of a sudden, I hear running footsteps. Towards us. I turn abruptly and grab a persons arm.

"Haruhi!" I hiss. "What are you doing here?"

"I followed you! Dad asked me too," Haruhi explains, whispering.

"You need to leave! Now! Its dangerous!" I push Haruhi away.

"But what about you?" Haruhi asks.

"I'm immortal! Go back home, Haruhi," I order.

Then it all happened in slow motion. There is a gunshot, and a pain in my back. Haruhi whisked from me by a blur of black as I fall forward. I hear pained grunts behind me. Sebastian. Suddenly, I'm taken away to, and I feel a bag being pulled over my head.

"Sebastian!" I shout. No reply. "Sebastian!"

"Shush, Shadow, she who walks at night," a familiar voice hisses in my ear.

I jerk my head in that direction, but hit air.

"Please, let me tell you a story."

"Fuck off," I growl."Haruhi!"

I hear a faint, "Char!", and then a groan.

"Once upon a time, there lived an Earl."

"I said, Fuck off!!" I exclaim. I can't move. Why can't I move? "Sebastian!"

"On the Earl's tenth birthday, he and his little sister were taken from their home. The boy was tortured, while the girl watched. One day, the boy summons a demon. A black, black, evil demon. And the Earl made a contract with him.'

" SHUT UP!" I shout, struggling. I can't pinpoint the voice. Why can't I? "SEBASTIAN!"

"The demon was given further instructions to protect the Earl's little sister, the one who was weaker. From that day, the girl sought to prove the Earl and demon wrong."

"SHUT UP, I SAID! SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP!" My breathing quickens, and I start to tremble. But the voice persists.

"After the girl was told one day to stay in a tower, where there she was safe, she disobeyed, and was nearly killed. The demon then turned the girl unwillingly, and she ran away. For 111 years. That girl is known as Charlotte Phantomhive, the lost Countess."

"SHUT. UP!" I'm screaming like a little girl now. "HARUHI! SEBASTIAN!"

"Or Shadow."

The bag is ripped off my head. The face, its all blurry. I can't see it. I scream more. Sebastian! Why can't he talk to me?

"WHY CAN'T I MOVE?! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!" I scream. Rage bubbles inside me. This person made one mistake. He made me mad.

"I just injected you with a serum. It only works on demons, blocking out all mental communication and causes paralysis," The voice explains. Who are you? "In a few hours, it'll wear off, but for now..."