7

Santiago

I was a rather intelligent man. And my wife knew it, but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Why was she constantly away?

I knew my wife better than to think she'd cheat. She was smarter than that, or at least I would've liked to think that. But grocery shopping didn't usually take that long, and neither did simple, everyday errands.

Like she said she was doing.

I didn't trust easily. I never had, but I trusted Alessandra.

I pulled my glasses off and placed them on my desk, rubbing my hands down my face. She was stressing me out.

"Papá!"

I spun around in my chair, smiling when the boys ran in my office. "What are you two doing in here?"

"We're playing hide and seek!"

I just nodded and smiled. "Hide under my desk, no one'll see you there!"

They smiled and crawled under my desk, making me chuckle and get back to my work.

Alessandra walked in and smiled, looking around for the boys. "Are they in here?"

I shook my head, never making eye contact. "Haven't seen them."

She walked over to my desk, leaning down. "Look me in the eyes and say that to me."

"I haven't seen them," I muttered again, "I'm not a part of your game."

I heard her scoff and one of the boys sneezed, making me throw a head back and laugh. Alessandra crouched down and looked under my desk, grabbing them with a laugh. "I knew you two were in here!"

She looked up at me and just hugged the boys. "We'll leave you alone to do whatever you do in here."

I just looked down at her, an eyebrow cocked up. "I work. You really wouldn't know about that, so it's okay that you don't understand."

She shot me a glare and stood up, grabbing the boys' hands. "Let's leave daddy alone."

They frowned up at me and I just leaned down to press kisses to their heads. "Papá will be out soon, okay? Niñera is coming over later!"

"Mi amor," Josiah corrected, making Alessandra's lips pull into an uncomfortable smile.

"Tu amor," I said, smiling down at him. Alessandra just ripped them away from me and led them out of my office, but walked back inside.

"Where have you been going?" I asked, not even giving her time to warm up to me.

"I told you, I've been running errands, Santiago."

"Errands don't take three hours, Alessandra."

"Well, errands is plural, so I run more than one."

I just smiled and looked back down at the papers scattered on my desk. "Okay."

"You don't believe me."

"You're right, Alessandra," I said, leaning back in my chair, folding my arms over my chest, "I don't know what you do anymore."