36. Vampires and Threats

"Where in God's name have you been?" Dad scolds the moment I step through the door.

  He wastes no time considering me, only rushes forward to engulf me in his large arms. He squeezes me to him, refusing to give me an inch. My heart feels heavy with guilt as I lean into his warmth, my own arms wrapping around him as tight as I can.

  "I'm sorry," I whimper, tears pricking my eyes.

  In an instant everything drifts away. I forget my friends standing directly behind me. I even forget about Damon, who continued to scowl the entire drive here. My entire plan vanishes from my mind, being replaced only be the momentary comfort of his embrace.

  "Why aren't you at work?" I manage to ask, pulling back from him before I give into my tears.

  "You think I could go to work while I had no idea where you where? I've been worried sick!" Dad's voice rises, his hands holding me in place as he scans my battered appearance. "What happened to you?"

  "Oh, I just lost track of time at Zeke's hou-" I start to recite the agreed upon lie when Dad suddenly releases me, now crossing his arms in disapproval.

  "Don't you dare lie to me," he commands with a sharp shake of his head.

  "But-" I start again, only to be interrupted once more.

  "I know you were not at Zeke's house," he states, finally acknowledging our company with narrowed eyes. "Your mother has been frantic," he scolds, his gaze hardening as he directs a reprimanding finger in Zeke's direction. .

  "My mom, oh shit..." Zeke mumbles to himself, nervously glancing in the direction of his house as he runs his hand through his hair.

  "Although, maybe I should have let her call the police," Dad sighs as his attention sweeps back to me, narrowing in on the bloody and bruised skin showing through my tattered sweatshirt.

  "No," I jump in with a shrug, trying to act as casual as possible, "we are completely fine."

  "Fine?" He bellows incredulously. "No, this is not fine! We need to file a report. Whoever has done this to you will need to pay." Dad continues more to himself as he turns away, heading into the kitchen where his phone sits on the counter.

  "Oh God," I whisper under my breath, nibbling nervously on my lip as I try to think of a way to stop him. "He can't call anyone," I declare urgently, turning back to my friends with an unspoken plea.

  "Are you saying you want us to stop him?" Elena asks softly, her eyes darting to my dad's back.

  "He can't get anyone else involved," I state, my voice rising as panic begins to cloud in on my emotions. "I need him safe, I need to keep them all safe."

  Just as I hear the faint beep of dad pressing a button on his phone I feel a rush of wind breeze past me. To quickly for me to see, Damon is suddenly at his side, his eyes intensely burrowing into Dad's.

  "Put the phone down," Damon instructs softly, his voice gentle and soothing, "everything is fine. We just lost track of time bringing Nereza home."

  "Time can get away from you," Dad mumble to himself, his whole demeanor softening as his worries drain away.

  "You should head to work, it's just another day." Damon suggests, finally glancing back at me almost apologetically.

  "Sorry for not sticking around," Dad abruptly announces, a bounce back in his step as he strides back towards us. "I need to get back to work," he explains, sliding into his jacket with a new goal in mind.