Chapter 12: Better than Words

Better than words, more than feeling
Crazy in love, dancing on the ceiling

I have been lying on my bed for half an hour now but I still couldn't find my slumber. My eyes were glued to the ceiling where my fan was. I still couldn't believe what happened tonight. From Niall tricking me into watching some bands where he was the one playing and he even sang me a love song where he was confessing his feelings for me while I stared at Harry who was staring back at me with a blank expression that until now, I couldn't understand up to agreeing to give Niall a chance of proving to me that his feelings are real. What a mess-up night? And I don't even know how I got into this mess in the first place.

Ever since I started high school, all I could think about was acing my exams, getting into NYU, and moving to New York City which has been my dream since I was a little kid. I will get a nice apartment, live in the Big Apple, and have the time of my life. And that's what I have been doing. I was contented with the life I was handed to. No friends? I was fine with that. My parents divorced? I accepted that. I never once asked for more than I was given to. I worked hard to be the first in class. I volunteered at the tutoring center to get additional credits and to help other people. It worked for them and it worked for me. So why did all of a sudden, things get complicated?

I couldn't even say that it got complicated because of Harry. Although, he is the one who gave me roller coaster feelings that I wasn't aware existed. But Niall? I knew him for a little while, although, it was just a couple of weeks when I started tutoring him. And I don't remember treating him anything special so why the hell does he likes me?

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard something being thrown out my window. My blinds are down and the only light in the room is the light coming from the full moon. I ignored the sound and glanced at the digital clock on my nightstand. It's 1:04 am. Niall dropped me off past midnight. I took a quick shower and I changed into my PJs. I have class later and I should be up by 6:00 am. I should be sleeping at this hour but earlier events kept popping on my mind.

The sound came in again, this time a little louder which made me nervous. Is someone downstairs? I have lived on this road since forever. I was born and raised in Wake Forest. It's just a little town but the neighborhood is marvelous. Everyone is nice to everyone. And we have zero crime rate.

My heart started pounding in a bad way when I heard the sound again, like three consecutive times, but it does get louder and louder each time. As scared as I am, I decided to look into it. The sound was coming from my window. I climbed off the bed and reached for the baseball bat my dad left for me sitting beside my desk. I tiptoed to the window. Slowly turning the blinds up and peaked on it. My breathing became normal when I saw Harry standing behind the bushes, throwing pebbles on my window. I put the baseball bat down, unlock and slide the window up. What is he doing throwing stones on my window in the middle of the night?

"Hey, are you trying to wake my mom?" I hissed at him.

He smirked at me. "Yeah, because I was so in love with your mother," he replied in his thick British accent. His voice was ragged and raspy than usual and I couldn't tell if he is drunk or not.

I rolled my eyes at him. "What do you want?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Let me in," he said, he wasn't asking.

I couldn't read the expression on his face cause it was dark. It was only his figure that I can clearly see.

Why would I let him in? It's already past one in the morning. My mother is already in deep sleep as she needed to get up early. Ever since my father left to move to New Jersey, my mom and I made a secret pact that we should give the privacy of each other, the main reason why I never pry about her relationship with Tom.