Fifty-Three

"Fell back to sleep, I got drunk by noon. I've never felt less cool."

"Can I please have this?" Celia asks, undressing from her own outfit, and into the dress from my luggage that she's been eyeing

To be quite honest, I never even knew that was mine to begin with. Celia was the one who packed for me for this trip, and almost everything she's worn whilst we've been here has come from my suitcase.

"Go right ahead," I wave, though there isn't much point as she's already dressed, and moved onto styling her hair.

"There's this really nice boy who's also staying here," she begins, toying with a half up, half down style. "Tall, fair hair, muscular..." she trails off.

Here we go again. Yet another last ditch attempt at getting me to socialise with the opposite sëx. How many times must I tell her that I'm not ready, before the message is received?

"Celia, I told you I'm not interested in dating right now. Please drop it."

Letting go of her hair, she stares blankly at me, expressionless.

"Ivory, I wasn't talking about you. I'm trying to tell you that I met someone," she replies, sounding quite annoyed.

Oh my gosh, I am a terrible human. To say that I've found the trip particularly hard would be an understatement. Considering I'm single, the constant encouragement from the girls to have a flirt has really taken its toll on me. I'm just not in the right place to be considering dating and all that.

"Oh... right," I mutter, feeling quite silly from my outburst. "Look, I'm sorry Celia. I'm sorry I'm not myself right now, but you have to know I'm trying really hard."

Looking over to me, her eyes are full of pity for her best friend. I pat the bed beside me, and she immediately jumps underneath the covers.

"Please, tell me all about him," I encourage her, trying to be excited for her. "I can see that you're absolutely itching to do so."

"Well, he works in finance, so obviously he's completely wrong for me. But he seems... different," she begins, unable to keep the giddiness from her voice. "Like he's not like all the rest of those types. I mean, it couldn't be anything other than a holiday fling, but he's simply gorgeous."