Chapter 60 (FINAL CHAPTER)

Last chapter, there will be a sequel!

---

The rain hadn’t hindered our plans for a night out. Lucy had brought an umbrella that the three of us had crowded under, Zoe opting for a quick sprint ahead to hold the door open. I planted a quick kiss to her cheek in thanks, gratitude for her sacrificing her hair for the good of the group.

“Yeah, yeah. Get in,” she playfully scolded.

It was busy in the Black Dog, the pub one of the only establishments in the local area to have proper pool tables and a specific area assigned to the dart players. I favoured the atmosphere rather than some grimy club. There was no expectation to dance and the old fashioned duke box mounted on the far wall had one of the new Arctic Monkey’s tracks blaring out.

Charlotte had wrangled us a table in the corner and was furiously beckoning us over before any more of the chairs could be walked away with.

“Uh, uh, uh!” Zoe reprimanded a man in the process of stealing her seat. “That’s mine, hunny.”

I laughed as he chivalrously slid it out from under the table for her to sit down. She thanked him with a blush almost matching the colour of her hair.

“I’m gunna go get us some drinks,” I raised my voice to be heard over the constant chatter.

“Do you want me to come with you?” Lucy offered, readjusting the hair pin clipping her fringe back.

“No thanks, save my seat!”

I received a thumbs up in confirmation before turning to wriggle through compacted bodies. Some people were less than helpful on my way to the bar, blocking me in until I politely tapped them on the shoulder.

Once I’d succeeded in my endeavour, I waited on service pressed up to the wooden counter. The poor bar maid was rushed off her feet, the landlord and herself continually brushing past each other to reach new customers. At that point, I was probably way down the list in priority.

“I think you’ll need some higher heels.”

I peered to my right to find a bright smile and a pair brown eyes.

“Huh?” I questioned.

His forehead was beaded with sweat, dark hair clinging to the moisture.

“To be seen,” he gestured at the length of the bar.

As soon as people received their drinks, they were replaced with more thirsty customers. It was a never ending cycle until the bell for last orders.

“Oh, I don’t mind waiting,” I smiled.

I returned my interest to the bar staff, leaning on the counter slightly to try and grab someone’s attention.

“You have to be more blatant,” he voiced before raising his fingers to his mouth and whistling.

The sound barely pierced though the noise in the pub, but it did a good job of shocking me in our close proximity. My body jolted, laughing along with him as the man behind the bar gave us a heads up.

“It worked!” I applauded.

“Every time.”

The reply was accompanied with a wink, feeling him press up against me as more people jostled for attention. He ordered before looking to me.

“Let me get you a drink.”

“It’s alright thanks, I’m with my friends.”

I nodded in the direction of the table I’d left a little while before. I hoped Lucy had kept her word and looked after my seat.