XXI

"There's no trace of any murks."

Raen states after a couple of minutes of checking the river banks both sides. So far the camp was clear for a thirty mile radius. We had been up early the next morning to check and already half of the day was gone. We needed to get back before my brother and father sent out a search party. Something tells me they won't let me away this easily now that they know I'm here with the others, much to Bow's protests and disappointed glares.

I let out a tired sigh as I bring my hands up to fold over my chest. Looking down at the river bank as millions of thoughts ran through my mind. Thoughts that kept me up late last night when I should've been sleeping and saving my strength.

Thoughts like Raen and his gentle touches. His stormy eyes and confusing words. My brother who I feel like he can't trust me anymore. How I down right lied to him about keeping it safe anymore. Baja of course and our telepathy that I discovered yesterday that may or may not lead to the main thing that kept me awake.

Corrin.

I still don't know if it was real or if I'm slowly going crazy. Crazy seems likely but then I remembered that dream I had a while back; Corrin promising me that he would come get me and bring me back to my original home.

It gave me chills I'm not going to lie and I found myself looking over my shoulder in case Corrin was actually watching me right now. The frightening thing was that I didn't know if I wanted to go back, if at all. It's all I've wanted since I've gotten here but going home means leaving my brother and father who I jave just discovered exist. Not to mention my new friends Malakei and even Tara.

Malakei had filled in the empty position Corrin once had in the High Peaks but in no way could he ever replace him. Malakei had looked out for me and was there for me even just as someone to talk to when I was down and although he's not perfect, he was there when I needed him. I don't know if I can just leave them like that. Especially when these murks were killing people and roaming the Dry Lands.

Could I leave Raen just like that too?

My heart sinks at that. Would he find me again? He's done it before. He can do it again.

A hand patting down on my back startles me forward and my head spins around in fright.

"Hey-" Malakei holds his hands up in surrender. Not expecting that reaction from me and I sigh in relief at that. Glad he wasn't Raen for some reason as I let my shoulders untense.

"Are you alright? You not look very good." He presses his lips together, looking at me in concern when he stands beside me. Getting a better look at my face.

"I'm fine Mal. Just tired." I reply looking back to the river. My eyes somewhat afraid to look over the other side in case my eyes were truly playing tricks on me. I decided to blame it on sleep. I was hallucinating, that's it.

"I'm here Keylin."

I turn to Malakei at his words. Seeing his soft eyes already looking at me and I look down, taking a shaky breath.

"If you need to talk. I always here. We are brothers."

"Thanks Mal. I appreciate it."

----

"-Are you even listening to me?"

My eyes quickly blinked repeatedly as I focused my gaze on Bow's disappointing frown as he looked down at where I was sitting against the wall of my bed. I frowned in confusion as I look up at him. Unable to register what it was he had been saying to me.

"I'm sorry..What?"

I ask before yawning into my elbow. My eyes watering in the corners as I do with tiredness. It was a day or so after we had left the river and since then things have been uneventful. Raen still hasn't talked to me, I think he was avoiding me and our awkward interaction. I haven't seen Malakei since the other day.