chapter 11

"We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality." - Lucius Annaeus Seneca  

((henry is so beautiful, asdfghjkl))

11.

Ethan

I lay under my covers, listening intently to the sound of heavy rain against the window. The sound usually helped me fall asleep but right now, the lulling was useless. The bed sheets were in a knot and aside from a few fit-full half hours of vivid dreams I didn't sleep a wink. Currently,  I was wide awake.

I glance over at my bedside table - 4 am. There was no point lying in the bed so I got up and headed towards the bathroom to take a shower when I heard somebody knock on my door.

"Who's there?" I asked.

"It is me, son. Open this door," I hear the familiar voice of my father.

I opened the door and let him inside. He was a tall man, maturity etched into his expression as he intently stared at me. 

"Is everything okay, father? What are you doing here at this time?" The words rushed out of my mouth.

He brought a hand up to my shoulder, "Son, I hear you pacing the floor every hour. I don't know how your mother is still asleep through all that but your thick, noisy feet aren't letting me sleep," he paused, "Are you okay, son?"

I didn't know what took over me but I pulled my father and hugged him, "Dad....I c-can't do this....I can't."

I remember the day when I last cried. I was 9 years old and my mother broke my favourite toy. It has been many years since that day but somehow today, it happened. I cried- no, I sobbed. Salty tears welled in my eyes and for the first time in forever, I let my tears go. I never knew that missing her could take over every fibre of my being. It is a torment I was unprepared for.

She broke me.

I sobbed as I clutched my father's shirt.

My father rubbed my back, trying to relax me but I couldn't. Whenever I closed my eyes, I saw her brown eyes, her soft black hair, her beautiful mouth, the tiniest of gap between her front two teeth. God damn, she is beautiful.

Father sighed deeply and pulled me back so we were face to face, "Son, it will be okay."

"Dad...she ha-hates me," I choke on a sob, letting a few tears slip from my eyes, fully aware of my stains making their way into his shirt, "Whenever she looks at me, her eyes fill with.....disgust. She's hurt. And I can't do anything about her. And you know what? Those two fvcking sons of bitches are always there to help her when it should be me," I growled loudly.

"You have to protect her son -"

"I can protect her with my side!" I growled, a fresh set of tears surfacing.

It was wrong of me to yell at him when he was the only one who was helping my wolf and I through this.

"Son, you know you cannot do that. If you claim her, all the hard work will go to waste!"

He was telling the truth. Frustrated, I grabbed the bedsheets and tore it to pieces.

"Tomorrow is my class, h-how will I.... I can't.... Dad, she is beautiful," Once again, I hugged my father for support.

"I know, son. I know.... It will be okay, everything will turn out to be okay, trust me...."

Will it?

---

Vivian

The day I was dreading was finally here - Ethan's class.