Suffolk

The city of Suffolk was lined with tall buildings on both sides, all varying in color. It was much like a painting I had once seen on the Lady's wall. Hundreds of men and women lined the streets, everyone with somewhere to go. It wasn't like Weston, where there were countless markets and peddlers. Suffolk was clean. The streets weren't dirt, they were bricks all laid out flat. The carriage ride was smooth throughout the city. The hooves stopped outside of a tall yellow building.

There was a knocking on the carriage door, and it was opened by William. His face was tired from the road, his amber eyes dropping, trying to stay awake. His brown curls were messed up from the wind, and he looked exhausted. Elizabeth took his hand, and began to step out of the carriage. He grabbed her waist and gently glided her to the ground. She looked up at him, blushing. Their eyes met for a moment, and he turned away, guiding her towards the door. He turned towards me and I held out my hand to stop him. "Go on, help her. I'll be alright." I giggled. It was getting dark, the sun had fallen quickly. I lifted the thin skirt of my dress and stepped out onto the sidewalk with too much force. I felt myself falling quickly and I shut my eyes, preparing for the fall onto the bricks.

I felt a hand under my stomach, and it gently pushed me up onto my feet. I gripped blindly to steady myself, and grabbed something solid. Another hand gripped my waist and turned me around. "Well that may not have ended well." I heard a chuckle from in front of me. I opened me eyes to meet a set of silver eyes peering into mine. It was a man. His hair was blonde, turned upwards into a wave above his head. His white opened blouse revealed his smooth, ivory skin. My senses traveled to my hand, which was gripping his upper arm. It was rippled with muscle, and my eyes were wide.

"You can let go, I have you now. Unless you want to hold on, of course." His deep voice purred. His face was just inches from mine. I slowly released my grip with my fingers. His hand didn't leave my waist. I couldn't move, or speak. I just stared into his silver eyes. He smiled, his teeth ivory white much like his skin.

"Who do you belong to, pretty girl?" He asked, his voice sent a chill down my spine. I couldn't look away. His eyes held mine in his gaze. I couldn't move. "I-I am here... for open court, sir." I said plainly. "Well that is just.. delicious." He continued. My heart began pounding in my chest. I had to move.

"No." I said, almost in a whisper. He arched his brow and tilted his head, leaning in closer. "What was that?" His voice was softer, almost a purr. I swallowed hard. "No. No, sir. I must get back to my sister." I gently put my hand on his, and slid it off of my waist. His eyes widened, as though I had just insulted him. I tried to soften the situation. "Will I see you there, sir? At court tomorrow?" My voice was sweet.

He nodded his head, smiling. "Why yes, you will. My master is scouting for potential dames as well as the duke here. I am here on his behest, trying to find the most beautiful women there are to offer." His smile sent a chill down my spine. I nodded and curtsied to him. "I shall look forward to seeing you tomorrow, sir." I said, turning toward the open door of the carriage to grab one of my bags. I turned back to the man, and he was no longer behind me. I turned, looking down the street on both sides. He was gone.

Was I dreaming? No. I could still feel where his hand had been on my waist, the spot was tingling. I put my hand over where his had touched me, and smiled as a warmth filled me, radiating to my core. I blushed.

William returned to take the horses to the stable, and I joined Elizabeth upstairs in the room we were staying in for the night. She had already fallen asleep on the bed. I lay down beside her, trying to calm my thoughts of what was to come. But all I could do was think about that mysterious man.