Chapter 13

The four of us attend the football game on Friday, and it is nothing special

The four of us attend the football game on Friday, and it is nothing special. Coldgrove High School lost in a close game, but we left happy anyways. Many people gave me dirty looks, some even saying that I shouldn't be here, which was embarrassing in front of Taylor and Jordan. I'm sure they know what happened, but oddly, they don't show an opinion like everyone else. Maybe they believe me, maybe they don't, if they are whiling to be my friends, then who cares. People are free to believe what they want here, in moderation of course.

Jana and I say our goodbyes to Taylor and Jordan before heading to my car. We leave later than everyone else, not wanting to sit in parking lot traffic. Once we are in the car, and all the doors are closed, Jana turns to me. "You didn't seem very into it."

I wasn't. I hate to admit it, but I was really hoping that Daniel would come. Something about him intrigues me, I find him very interesting, and I want to discover more about him. These feelings confuse me, but I have grown used to them the past week.

"I wasn't. Football games aren't really my thing. Plus, how fun is it to watch your attacker play sports?"

Jana nods. "That's true. I don't know—don't get mad at me—but I think it's because a certain someone wasn't there."

Can nothing be kept from her? Well, she is a people watcher, a thorough one at that. Can she really read me that easily?

"Let me guess, his name begins with a D, he's painfully gorgeous, and he happens to take interest in y—"

"He doesn't take interest in me," I cut her off and start the car. "I'm there to cure boredom."

Jana dramatically sits forward only to give me an 'I can't believe this' look. "How can you say that! He practically interrogated you for murder at Watts'."

I pull out of the parking spot and head in the direction of home. "You're being dramatic."

"Dramatic! He probably finds you mysterious and all, with the whispering and the staring."

"Yeah, he wants to know what I'm hiding. Little does he know that I'm never going to tell him. He's probably expecting me to say that I lit a building on fire or something rebellious, not that I was attacked by Harrison," I explain. "Once he finds out, which he will eventually, he'll be turned off by me right away."

Jana stops and looks at me, no longer the road. Her voice is soft now. "Why do you think that?"

I let out a short laugh. "I'm damaged goods, Jana. Who wants to be with the girl that can't stand to be touched? I'm undesirable."