Chapter 1

Alex stared at his ceiling fan as it spun around and around and around. As he watched the long brown blades spin, his mind started reminding him of the last year and the tragedies that had occurred.

Exactly one year ago that day, a zombie was found walking the streets of New York City. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there, but all that's known is that it instantly started attacking the civilians on the streets.

This zombie was a bit different from what society had pictured as zombies. Instead of just eating all the flesh on its victims, it simply reached into its prey's head, pulled out its brain, and ate it as if it was some sort of fruit! It then left the rest of the body to rot. It didn't become another zombie, it just sat there.

Over 100 people lost their lives in the first 30 minutes! Around that time, zombie sightings had been seen all over the country! One was seen in Chicago, a few were in St. Louis, and about 10 were in Washington, D.C.! Within 24 hours, over 100 zombies AT LEAST could be found in every major city in America! The government was trying to destroy them, but more and more seemed to be appearing by the minute! The strangest thing is that, to this day, nobody knows where the zombies were coming from; all that's known is that they were multiplying like mad!

After about a week, there were reported zombie sightings in London, Paris, Vatican City, Beijing, Tokyo, and Sydney! And after a month from the first sighting, zombies could be found all over the world! Every city in every country in every continent had an average human-to-zombie ratio of 1-to-20!!

Everyone in society was trying their best to defend themselves against the undead nightmares, but it was no use; they may be zombies, but they're not totally brainless. They found ways to bust through doors. They found ways to climb things. Heck, some even found ways to drive!! Somehow or another, they found ways into even the most protected fortresses!

Fortunately, though, they had the same weaknesses as human beings. A bullet to the head, a chainsaw to the neck, and even a knife to the stomach would be enough to kill one of the zombies. However, doing those things is easier said than done. Not everyone had enough gun ammo, supplies, or even opportunity to accomplish that.

After 6 months, places such as Los Angeles, Orlando, Dublin, and Argentina were completely wiped out. The remaining cities had a stunning human-to-zombie ratio of 1 to 1,000!!! It was terrible seeing all these innocent people lose their lives to brain-hungry corpses!

Finally, exactly one year later, the world had been emptied. Australia had become a dead zone (the technical term for an area containing only zombies), as well as Hawaii, England, Canada, Russia, and even the entire African continent!! It appeared the only people remaining are those in small towns.

Now, Alex Johnsen was staring at his ceiling fan in his modern suburban home in California. He was one of the very few survivors remaining in town. In fact, the only other people were his brother, Freddy, and his best friend, Josie.

Alex himself was a rather handsome-looking teenage man. Yet despite this, at school he was mostly considered a geek by everyone and was always made fun of. Fortunately, there was one person in the school kind enough to not torture him, and that was Jocelyn Deacon.

She had just moved at the beginning of junior year from a rural city near central Illinois. She's a very beautiful young girl and immediately got all the guys' attentions. Many asked her out, but she denied all of them, stating she wants a guy who wants her for more than her looks.

Pretty soon, she saw Alex getting picked on by a group of guys. After walking over and telling them to leave him alone, they left. After that, Alex and Josie became really close friends. The best part was nobody was bothering Alex anymore since Josie was always around! The two really are glad they always had each other's backs.