0 9

Nicklaus smiled, it was a pure wholehearted smile. The type only Grace brought his face these days, Grace and now it seemed occasionally Kathrine.

It seemed it wasn't only Nik's heart who the little Verde was warming.

May 26th 2010

That morning Grace was the first to wake up and soon the other occupant of the house followed suit. Her excitement was contagious even though it was for something as mundane as a shopping experience that only lasted half the day.

After all her searching the day before Grace had fashioned a pair of shorts out of the black jeans she had been wearing when she got here.

They had been washed and she had turned them into ripped jeans with a frayed hem, which was complete a mistake on her part the cut wasn't clean as the scissors were blunt but according to Kathrine they looked fine.

Reusing her camisole from the same outfit she wore that and donned one of the history teachers many shirts on top.

The mall opened at nine, she had checked then it before. Before she left she had a yoghurt out the fridge and snuck Katherine another blood bag, not that Nik didn't know. It was obvious what was happening to the depleting blood bag supply but it didn't bother him, after that night they would be out of that little flat any way and Kathrine would be gone forever, one way or another.

Before the two girls left though he slipped her a little plastic card and whispered four digits before bidding them goodbye.

Grace smiled in glee as they walked down the short corridor to the stairs. Nik had entrusted her with his credit card!

Nik trusted her, or at least with his money.

"Oh by the end of the day he will regret his decision." Kathrine laughed.

"We aren't going to spend all his money! Right?"

"Oh course not." Katherine said deadpan - three seconds passed before the two of them fell into uncontrollable fits of laughter again.

"Okay, okay." Grace gasped. "Come on - before he changes his mind."

The pair descended down the stairs but as they did so a woman walked past them, going the opposite way - towards the apartment. She gave the two a steely glare before caring on her way.

"What's her problem." Katherine groaned as soon as they hit the ground floor. Grace replied with the universally recognised motion for - I have no idea - a simple shrug of her shoulders. "Of course you don't know." Katherine muttered to herself.

They had left the apartment complex and were now by the side of the road. "How were we planning on getting out of town anyway?"

"I don't remember." Katherine remarked in a snarky tone. "How are we going to escape this wretched town?" She made a comical face before dangling a pair of keys in Grace's face.

"Nik's truck!" Grace laughed, "Of course - it should be around here somewhere."

"Yep, in fact it is right there." Katherine said pointing to the opposite side of the road. Grace smiled looking either way before dragging Katherine towards Nik's flashing Range Rover that lay dormant opposite them.