Chapter 28

Jax POV 

For a second, I stand there dumbly, not sure what to do. It feels like the calm before the storm. An overwhelming silence occupies the pitch black room. I feel suffocated in the darkness. A tinge of fear creeps into me as I realize I'm standing in a room of killers who may or may not be trained to fight in the darkness. 

Then, the silence breaks. 

"Calm down everyone. The backup generator will start up soon." Someone speaks up in a very collected tone. The voice is unfamiliar and does little to calm anyone down. 

I hear a grunt to my left and I immediately roll away to my right. I end up rolling right on top of something.

No, I roll onto someone. My hands are planted on something sticky and I know it's blood. I can recognize that sickly, sharp smell instantly. Even though I really don't want to, I rummage around the body and look for the murder weapon. Whoever this person is, she bled out in a painful manner. My knees are soaking in a pool of her blood. I  finally find the murder weapon: a freaking pipe. Gripping it tightly, I pull it out of her stomach. Upon release of the pipe, there's a nasty squishing noise. 

I thank the darkness for a moment.  

Knowing my eyes are practically useless, I close them anyways. Picturing the room to the best of my abilities in my mind, I start mapping out my location. It doesn't take long for me to get my bearings and my senses to adjust. 

That also means everyone else have adjusted to the darkness. After training with these people, I know what they are capable. Not a single one of them will hesitate to kill someone in cold blood. Some will relish the feeling. 

I can hear people fighting already. Mapping it out in my mind, I head for the wall closest to me so I have some protection. Before I can get there, someone runs into me and pins against the wall. 

Right when I'm about to use my pipe, the person whispers, "Jax. It's me." 

I don't stop the swing of my pipe. Rather, I adjust the swing to his height so it'll knock him out. Just because he says he's Luca, doesn't mean I'm going to instantly trust him. In fact, I'm more suspicious than ever. 

My pipe hits air. I listen to the slightest change in my surroundings, relying on my instincts and past experiences. I also thank my mom for being so hard on me and forcing me to train blindfolded. All the training and fights I have been through have honed my reflexes until now. 

I duck at the last second when Luca tries to grab me. "I'm not trying to fight. Listen to me."

"I can't trust you." I do a sharp kick and it connects with his body. If he received the full blunt force of that kick, then he's going to have broken ribs and internal damage. I do feel the crack of a rib or two when my foot lands on his ribs. 

The backup generator comes back on. My eyes are blinded by the sudden brightness. It takes a couple seconds to readjust. 

I gasp in shock at the sigh before me. Blood splatters cover the ground and walls. Many people lay motionless on the ground. Some continue to fight against each other, for whatever reason I am not sure. 

I recover before Luca, who is wearing night vision goggles. I charge towards him and he barely evades me before tripping on a body. 

"Jax. Listen to me." He tries again.

"No, you listen to me. I will not repeat it again. I have no reason to trust you. In fact, I should just kill you right here." I threaten as I pick up a random pair of nunchucks on the ground. I swing it around to test its weight. If he makes a single move towards me, then I'm going to defend myself. I will survive this and get to my brother. I will kill anyone who stops me from being with Rob. Luca is no exception.