Chapter Ten

7/15/17

I smirked. Did I make him uncomfortable? I wonder what I should think of that.

He handed me a controller and motioned where I could sit down.

When I plopped into the surprisingly comfortable couch I couldn't help but smile. "This is a pretty nice setup you have."

"I know. I spend a lot of time here."

I chuckled. "Wow, that's kinda sad."

"You spend all your time at my coffee shop, that's kinda sad too."

"Are you saying I shouldn't?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Of course I'm not, I'm just noting our lives are similarly unsocialed."

"That's not a word."

"That's not an answer," he replied as he rolled his eyes and selected past the main menu screen.

"Fine. You mean we should go out into the world more often?"

"I'm saying we could stand to be more social."

I shook my head. "People are... well, they're people." I shrugged.

"I can't argue with that." He looked over at me with a warm smile. "But not all people are so bad."

My ears burned and I looked away. "Yeah, not all of them..."

"So, which character do you play as?"

I smiled. "I play like half of them, but I like the character Sheik."

"Sheik; do you play Legends?"

"Of course I do, that series is awesome," I replied with a grin.

Link smiled. "I never would have guessed you were a Legends fan, even with your name."

"It's hard not to be when you've played the games," I said with a smile. "They're so cool!"

"I know right! Especially being based on history," he replied with a nod.

"Based, and true to, are completely different things," I giggled. Actually giggled. "What about you?"

"I play as Link."

I rolled my eyes. "Figures," I said. "Now, let's see who's got less of a life."

Then, as Link picked the stage, I sighed and admitted, "I haven't played in over a year, so I've got to get the timing down again."

"No problem, I can go eas-"

"Don't you dare," I breathed. "I'd rather die horribly than be coddled."

Link stared at me, and then he nodded.

And I did die horribly, which was to be expected.

Still, Link was just better at the game than anyone I had ever played with.

"Are you fine to keep going?" Link asked after my third defeat.

I looked over at him, unamused. "I'm getting back into it, I'll play until I beat you."

Link smiled. "Well maybe you'll have to stay for dinner then," he challenged.

I rolled my eyes. "We'll see."

And so we played, and by the eighth round I had gotten all my skills back and beat him so bad that his character hit the screen and slid down.

"Wow, that's an embarrassing way to go," he said.