Buttons and Veela

Lucius stared at the pile of ash that was once a broom in horror. That could have been Pansy. The ash could have been family. He couldn't believe it. One simple touch and a person could be wiped out completely. He could hear the whizzing of air which signified that the Veela were still flying around them. He could make out at least three blurs but he wasn't entirely sure. If they didn't think of something fast then they were going to be a pile of ash next.

            Narcissa's heart was beating out of her chest rapidly. The zing of the wind sounded so close to her ears. The Veela were too fast, she couldn't really make out anything. If Lucius said they were ancient Veela than she believed him but she herself hadn't seen anything of the sort.

            George was pissed off. If he hadn't reacted so quickly then his girlfriend would be dead right now. He felt like he needed to stop for a moment and take all of this in. He felt like his mind needed to mourn the possibilities but there was no time. He couldn't stop for a single moment or else he could get them both killed. He was so angry at the stupid Veelas. He was so angry at the Flamels for even doing something like this in the first place. He was also angry at Harry and Draco for taking off with Finneus and the darkness.

            Pansy was numb. Utterly numb. Not just her mind but her whole body. Had she really almost just died? She had been seconds away from being a pile of ash too. The whole prospect was chilling. She couldn't believe that her life could have been snuffed out just like that. She wanted to leave. She wanted to get out of here. She scrambled for her wand and attempted to apparate but nothing happened. That had been a long shot anyways.

            "Don't try apparating. It won't work." Pansy yelled.

            If things hadn't been so chaotic, Lucius might have scoffed at her. Of course they wouldn't be able to apparate out. He highly doubted the Flamels would have made a mistake like that. Lucius wanted to be able to get a good shot at the creatures but they were so wickedly fast that he knew that it would do no good. He might miss and hit one of the others.

            Narcissa felt two whooshes of wind fly right past her in different directions before she was knocked forcefully into something hard. She had a split second to realize that the tail end of the broom had just knocked into the side of the cage. She let out a piercing scream.

            Lucius whipped around at the sound of his wife but froze when he saw her just immobile. "What's wrong?" He demanded to know. He had been prepared to lunge at her or something but he had not expected her to just be screaming. He couldn't even see anything wrong.

            Narcissa stopped screaming and looked around. Huh. She thought for sure that the broom would have incinerated by now. Now she felt rather embarrassed for yelling. "My broom is touching the cage." She explained.

            Lucius widened his eyes and rose a little higher to throw off the Veela. He wondered why the one spot by his wife was not activated like the rest of the cage. It was difficult because he couldn't see the cage. The fucking Flamels were too smart.

            Narcissa opened her mouth to say something but there was a small click and where the side of the cage was that her broom was up against, suddenly vanished. Her eyes widened when she was sucked backwards by a gust of wind.

            "Narcissa!" Lucius yelled. He was aimed to grab her but he was cut off by a passing Veela. By the time he was able to right himself, Narcissa was already gone. His heart sank. There hadn't been any ash, nor did she hit the side of the cage on her way out. So he hoped that she was okay. He didn't like the fact that he couldn't see her. He refused to think that she hadn't made it.