Chapter Two

Two

As Clarence sat doing her homework at the kitchen breakfast bar, her aunt Faith hummed a familiar melody throughout the house. Clarence sighed after slipping her math homework into her folder.

"Your mother use to sing you Underground since David Bowie was her favorite." She smiled softly as she thought to her sister's voice soothing a baby to sleep. Clarence smiled and nodded her head in acknowledgment.

"She made me watch the Labyrinth a million times." Clarence's voice was soft and hoarse as she was use to setting in silence. Faith laughed as she thought back to the movie her sister was obsessed with.

"I was shocked when Haylee called. You never mentioned you made friends." Faith smiled behind her to see Clarence shrug, "She seems sweet."

"She is." Clarence whispered as her fingers twisted together with nerves. Faith nodded her head as she turned the liquid in the pot.

"I just didn't realize you made friends since you always hide in your room. I mean you didn't even talk to me for the first three months." Faith's voice lowered as the past weeks caught up with her, "I'm happy for you, Clarence."

"I know, Faith." Clarence spoke while she traced the garnet pattern on the counter. Her mind wondered for an escape while her body froze.

"I know you blame me, but I am sorry, Clarence." Faith whispered as Clarence shook her head in disagreement. She has heard this speech from every teacher, friend, and foe. She did not need to hear this again.

"It wasn't your fault. It was mine, and I accept that fully." Clarence spoke with determination as Faith sighed. Faith shook her head as Clarence gathered all her school belongings.

"He was a sick, sick man. It was us who failed you, Clarence." She called after her niece who wanted nothing more than to scream. For a quiet girl, all she ever wanted to do was scream, yet she knew that only resulted in horror.

She walked into a room without a personality. It was white with no emotion behind the walls. The only décor was a picture of a mother and father holding their small baby girl in a park. It sat on her dresser were she would stare at it while she would fall asleep.

A buzzing of a phone erupted in the silent room. Clarence fished her phone from her back pocket in confusion since barely anyone held her number.

Yo, its Justin we need 2 talk aboot tutoring

Clarence felt herself cringe at the grammar he used as she stared at her screen. She felt her fingers move slowly as to find each button perfectly.

Hello. How are you doing?

Clarence felt herself fall back onto her bed as she watched the bubbles appear. It danced as she waited.

Why do I get the impression u don't text

Clarence felt herself roll her eyes while her fingers searched for the letters. His waiting time was much longer than hers would be.

Shut up, what did you need?

Clarence once again watched the bubbles with nerves trickling in. She sighed as she read his next text.

Sooooo my mom wants us to meet 1/we.

Clarence felt her nerves race as she typed with shaking hands a simple word.

Okay?

It felt as though his response would not send fast enough while she waited for him. She watched the bubbles with uneasy feelings.

I am free Sat. hbu?

Her nerves were momentarily forgotten as confusion slipped into her mind. She wondered what stupid meaning it could be attached to.

Hbu?

She could feel his eye roll through the screen as she awaited her reply. She wondered if he was in his room as well, or out with his friends. She highly doubted he would have stayed by himself even on a school night.

How about you?

The realization of the meaning clicked after she saw it. She felt herself typing as the butterflies swam around her head.

Oh, yes, that is find for me.

Clarence felt herself wondering if it was fine with her or not. She did not know if she could handle Justin for two hours.

Youll be payed $20/session

She felt her heart raced as she typed. Her fingers shook and butterflies swam. When she pressed sent, her chest felt like it would beat out of its chest.

I would rather get tea at Burkens

Clarence felt herself unneeded for the panic as his reply was instant. Her eyes read its words before placing the phone down with a smile.

If the princess demands it

Have a lovely day, and if you are feeling generous, please leave a vote/comment.