50. Desperado

Present

Present

"Zoom wants to race?" Jesse repeats as she stares between Barry and I. "He wants to race the two of you?"

I shake my head as I cross my arms. "He's always been obsessed with power, and with power comes speed."

"How do we know we can trust him?" Iris asks, furrowing her eyebrows. I knew that she was right; we couldn't trust him.

Cisco looks up. "He just wants to race. It kind of makes sense in a completely off your rockers sort of way..."

"That can't be all that he wants," Joe breathes, looking up at me as if I had all of the answers.

"Laurel said that he wanted to expand his horizons," I state, thinking back to what she had told me. "Like I said before, he's always been about power. Before we came back here to this earth, he had said that he wanted to take over the multiverse...that we had already brought our earth to its knees. It wouldn't surprise me if this race has something to do with him accomplishing that."

"She's right," I hear Harry say from behind me, clicking away on one of the computers. "This magnitar that's being developed by Mercury Labs can easily be weaponized...it can act as a pulsar."

Iris raises her eyebrows. "A what-now?"

"It's a power amplifier," Cisco explains further, sounding almost terrified. "This is what happens in my vibes, it's caused by this machine."

"This thing is powerful enough to destroy a planet?" Iris asks once again, looking astounded.

My eyes lock on the screen in front of me as a watch a graphic depiction of what would happen if this thing was activated while Harry answers her question. "It can destroy all of them if given the proper power source."

"And what's that?" Jesse asks simply, and the moment she does, it all clicks into place.

I give Barry a look as he hangs his head. "Speed. Barry, Hunter, and I are the power sources. He wants us to race so that we can help activate this thing."

"Well then I guess there isn't a choice," Barry looks up then, pain behind his eyes. "We'll have to race him...and we'll have to win."

Barry turns and leaves the room then as I stand and stare off into space, wondering to myself if this was the right choice. Racing Hunter meant that we could potentially destroy the multiverse, but if we were to win, we could defeat Hunter and save it at the same time. There were too many risks to weigh out the pros, and I knew that Barry wasn't in the right head space to go up against Zoom.

Everyone looks between one another in a doubtful sort of way, thinking the same thing as me most likely. After a moment of silence, everyone parts ways until it's just Iris and I left standing in the room. I go to turn and head back towards my room to think about what the best option would be, but before I can make it through the doorway, Iris is calling after me.