13: Work work work

Alyssa Mells POV

I worked shifts at Busy Burger, funny enough this town doesn't have a lot of drive thrus, Busy Burger thankfully isn't one. Busy Burger believes in talking face to face with customers - at least that's what they said at our last employee meeting. I have two jobs, the one at busy burger that I work after school and weekends once a fortnight, and then I have another job that I go to once a week, it's a school based traineeship and I work from 9-5 and get paid ninety dollars AND it is classed as extra-credit.

"That boy that drives you here, he's cute." Haylee, one of my co-workers, commented. Her skirt was hiked up high and her hair dyed black with a few colourful highlights. And a lot of eye make up. A lot of people who work here have nothing in their lives like me and barely get through life and Busy Burger is always hiring. "You sleeping with him?" She asked.

"No." I shook my head smiling. My skirt was a little past my knees and the faded yellow made me thankfully, unattractive.

"Can I have him?" She asked laughing, chewing obnoxiously on her gum.

"No you can't Haylee." I laughed, some hair falling out my low ponytail.

"Is innocent little Alyssa trying to get him?" She snickered, hip bumping me.

"No, he's my best friends brother." I shook my head again and packed up a few plates.

"Sounds hot, forbidden." She sighed dreamily, leaning across the counter as I went behind it. Haylee isn't a werewolf, a normal human girl. Well, not normal, apparently normal girls don't sleep around and usually go to school. Some girls are like Haylee and some aren't.

"You need to get out more Haylee." I laughed, wiping down a few tables. Two large men with beards walked in and Haylee walked around and hid behind the counter. Smiling I walked over to the two men, the only other people in here were now the two men and a two other loners who sat in corners alone. "Hello and welcome to Busy Burgers I'm Alyssa, your waitress, how may I help you tonight?" I greeted politely.

"Hello gorgeous - " the man with the red beard was cut off as a swift kick to the shin from his black bearded friend shut him up.

"Thank you love." He spoke up as the two ordered a large meal.

"Is that all? Not to worry I'll have that done in a jiffy." I walked off to Haylee and we started preparing their food. Haylee played with her hair as I quickly, with help from another co-worker prepared the bearded mens food. I carried the large plates, without a tray, over to the men and recited their orders. "If you need anything just wave me over." I smiled again before walking away. That's when Rosie and Darren walked in. As soon as they sat down I was at their table.

"Good evening, can we just get two cokes please?" Rosie asked, adding a wink on the end. Haylee took the order from me and left me so I could stay and chat. "Axel took us to see Darren at the next gen program."

"Go Darren." I laughed, the two staring up at me with happy, knowing smiles. "Why are you two looking at me like that?"

"I still can't believe you'll be sixteen soon." Rosie shook her head, catching Darrens attention. The two looked like they had something on their minds but didn't push. "When do you get off?" Rosie asked.

"In half an hour." I replied.

"Sweet, would you be able to give this to Axel?" She held out an envelope, which I took.

"Of course." I smiled, a small family walked inside and I waited a while before taking their order.

Rosie and Darren left and my shift ended. Saying goodbye to Haylee, I took a step outside and spotted the familiar blue BMW pulling in. Axel got out of the car and hadn't spotted me yet. "Hot and rich, if you don't nail him I will." Haylee but her lip as she walked towards where her beat up, red pick up truck sat. Laughing I made my way over to Axel.

"Good evening." I greeted, as we got back into the car. My werewolves senses aren't the best, but the overpowering smell of sadness and regret filled Axels car. I didn't press him to tell me as I could tell it was a result of another one of his arguments with Amy.

"Good evening Al." He smiled happily back, pulling out of the nearly completely empty parking lot. "Anything exciting happen at work?" He asked.

"Yes actually, Rosie and Darren stopped by." Axel froze up slightly but tried to play it cool. Was there something that the two had known that they didn't want me to find out? "They gave me a envelope - I promise I didn't open it - and I'm not giving it to you right now because you're driving." I laughed, seeing the letter poking out of my frayed bag.

"Okay." He laughed as we drove home in silence.

He pulled to a stop in the driveway, turning the car off and leaving the two of us in the dark. The only light was from the street light and the front porch light, having been left on until the two of us had come home. "Thank you, for driving me to and from work."

"You don't need to thank me everytime." He laughed, staying seated.

"I'm going to go inside." I handed him the envelope before opening the car door. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight." He smiled, holding the letter absent-mindedly. "Wait - actually." I halted, bringing my foot back in the door and closing it. "This - This is my test results." He told me nervously. "I don't want to open it, can you? Please." He thrusted the letter towards me, turning on the roof light. Shakily, I began to open his letter. My eyes skimmed over the words, my face revealing nothing. "Is it bad?" He finally spoke up.

"No, not at all." My voice cracked. "You got into medical school."

"No way!" He gasped, voice cracking as he quickly pulled me into a hug. I laughed and cried, tears of joy. "That means I get to be a pack medic in the future. You're going to start faking injuries to come see me?" He winked, causing me to laugh.

"We'll see." I snorted, both of us getting out the car to go inside and share the good news.