Chapter 4

Tatiana

Shutting the doors carefully, although I'd much rather slam the hell out of it. I leaned my forehead on it and took a moment to regain my erratic breathing. I may seem calm and composed earlier, but deep down I was freaking out.

This was too much to process. I thought, closing my eyes.

After a few deep breaths and an internal pep talk, I trudged through the hallway Viktor and I went through earlier. Remembering the windows I saw, I made a quick left turn to the window I saw on the end of the hallway. From afar, I could already see it was a big enough for me to climb out off.

As I came close to the window, all thoughts of an escape route went out the window. Pun intended. Looking down, I realized we we're five floors up, and apart from that, there were at least fifteen men scouring the grounds. Without a rope and even my weapons, this escape would be a lost cost.

Amidst my planning, I sensed someone from the hallway walking their way towards me. I remained calm as to not alert them that I knew of their presence.

When I sensed their hand reaching out, I quickly hooked my right foot to his, while grabbing onto his right arm, putting all my force into throwing him off over.

The man landed on the carpeted floor with a thud.

"Oh it's you" I said, trying to hold in the laughter that's trying to escape.

"What the hell woman!" he said groaning.

Viktor started getting up, and I lend him a hand. It was partially my fault.

"I'm sorry! Do you really blame me for not trusting anyone here?" I argued.

"Point taken" he wheezed out, dusting off the imaginary dust off of his clothes.

He lost the coat and was only left with his white polo shirt, with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and a few buttons left open, giving him the bad boy look. Which, technically they are. My subconscious piped in.

"I was looking for you, Dimitri called me to say that he was done talking to you, and to find you asap because he thinks you might already be planning your escape" he smirked.

Ooops.

I rolled my eyes at him. "So, what now? Do I just hang around in the corner waiting to be summoned like an obedient dog?" I asked, grimacing at the thought of being compared to a dog, or a bitch to simply put it.

"Oh come on kroshka, it isn't so bad here once you get the hang of it. And come on! I'm taking you to the most important place here in the mansion" he said, taking my arm and dragging me towards who knows where.

"It's where the magic happens, boo" he said, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

Rolling my eyes yet again at this idiot. "Please don't tell me it's your room? 'cause I rather not"

"Although, alternatively that is true kroshka, I'm taking you somewhere else" he said laughing.

***

"The kitchen?" I asked incredulous.

Looking around, the kitchen could almost be as huge as my bedroom and living room combined. Dark hardwood floors, a huge granite island on the middle, black pantry and shelves and from the looks of it, the latest of the latest models of kitchen equipment. They even have that fancy looking coffee machine that screams expensive!

"Yeah! Why? Don't you want to eat? For sure you're already starving" Viktor said.

And as if on cue, my stomach started grumbling. And it's far from the cute grumbling, it was more like bordering on shrek-grumbling.

Viktor was full on laughing now and I resisted to smack him on his head for being so rude.

The kitchen door opened and this beautiful girl entered heading straight for Viktor, and without hesitation smacked his head with so much force I myself winced.

"OUCH! What the hell?! Why is every woman in this damn house inflicting pain on me!" rubbing the sore spot on his head, he gave the girl the stink eye.

"Maybe if you were a gentleman and overall not yourself.." the girl pointed her finger at him swooshing back and forth and showing a disgusted face "maybe then you won't get hurt, well lesser than usual" the girl finished.

"May I remind you, that this" Viktor said gesturing to his whole body with both hands "is your twin brother, idiot" Viktor said, a smirk on his face.

That's why she looked familiar!

The girl merely shrugged and headed towards me, extending a hand.

"Hi! I'm Anya, this doofus's twin sister, unfortunately" she said.

"I'm-"

"Tatiana Romanov! I know you! You're quite famous. It's nice to finally put a face on the otherwise faceless assassin. Gosh! You're gorgeous! Can we be friends?" Anya rambled on. I could clearly see they were definitely twins.

"Nice to meet you" I said, shaking her hand.

"Come on, take a seat, I was just done making lasagna" Anya said.

Viktor was already seated on a bar stool in the kitchen island, munching on an apple. I took a seat opposite to him and started looking around.

"So, what's your story?" Viktor asked.

"If I tell you, I might just have to kill you" I said with a straight face.

I guess Viktor wasn't expecting that answer since he practically choked on the apple he was still eating. Thankfully Anya came back with mittens on and the tray of lasagna. Putting the tray down, Anya forcefully slapped her brother's back.

"Thanks, sis" with teary eyes, Viktor threw his apple on trash bin near him and pointed a finger at me.

"You. You shouldn't joke about stuff like that carelessly" he accused.

"Who's to say I was joking, sweetheart" I replied teasingly.

"So what's the deal about your feud with the Mortellis?" I asked, taking in a forkful of lasagna. Wow this is good.

Both of them became tensed with the question and gave each other the look. I raised an eyebrow questioning their behavior but none of them spoke.

As if they had silent twin powers, Viktor was the first one to respond. Clearing his throat he looked around before answering.

"We don't talk about it, so I suggest you do the same" he answered vaguely.

I wanted to ask more but Anya beat me to it.

"Have you toured the grounds yet, Tatiana?" Anya asked, changing the topic and the tensed aura surrounding it.

"Uh no, I haven't" I said.

"Oh! That's good then! Come on, I'll give you the tour myself" she replied eagerly.

I only smiled at her. If they weren't going to give me answers then I'll find them myself. And this tour was the perfect way to start uncovering the truth.

****

Author's Note

Hello my lovely readers! (well, at least i hope there are)

if you've reached this point, i'm sending hugs and kisses (wherever the hell you are) for the support you've given this book! i'm grateful for every star you click ;) .  this book is unedited so if you point out mistakes, i won't get mad. Vote! Comment! Share!

love,

toffeecrunch <3