Mean - 9

Ji-hye doesn't know how it happened, but now, she's walking side by side with Youngmin.

They're following Donghyun and Sewoon, who are so busily chatting she's worried one of them would trip soon enough.

Meanwhile, she and the boy beside her are not speaking at all. She still feels embarrassed about the fall and the way he had to catch her. She blushes at the thought, and afraid that Youngmin might see, she lowers her gaze to hide her cheeks, which are now probably as red as his hair.

"Look where you're going."

Youngmin suddenly says out of nowhere. She doesn't know why but she finds herself following, raising her head to look ahead. There is something about his voice -- so calm yet commanding, but not to the extent that it scares her, unlike before.

A few minutes more of walking and they reach the coffee shop where they worked on the project three days ago. It was Donghyun's idea to celebrate here, saying that the place played a huge part on the group's success.

They sit at the same rectangular table they occupied the last time they were here. This time, though, she's sitting on Youngmin's left, unlike before when the three of them sat together on the other side of the table. Sewoon is in front of her, and across Youngmin is Donghyun.

She swears that this is the most awkward it can ever get.

"I'm not being ungentlemanly here, but can I go order first? I'm really hungry now," Sewoon explains.

"Let me join you, then," Donghyun tells Sewoon.

Ji-hye realizes she thought wrong, because as the other two leave to order, a whole other level of awkward has washed over Youngmin and her. He's just sitting there staring at other people around the cafe. Ji-hye does the same.

"Excuse me," she quietly says. This gets Youngmin's attention.

"I have to go to the washroom. Is it okay if I leave you first to watch over our stuff?" Ji-hye asks while looking at her hands.

Youngmin just nods.

Ji-hye then excuses herself and goes to the washroom. Once inside, she locks the door and breathes a huge sigh of relief.

"What is this?" She says while looking at herself in the mirror. "How is this happening?" She continues, "The last time we were here, and that was just three days ago, he was so rude and cold, but now, he responds to me, and take note, without any hint of sarcasm or spite at all."

She doesn't know why but she suddenly laughs. "Oh my gosh, is the world ending? Are we near the end? What the hell is happening?" She says while staring at herself.

She then proceeds to wash her now flushed face (she doesn't know why they're red and hot, though) in the sink, thinking that it might put some sense to her confused self. She dries it afterwards before exiting the washroom to go back to their table.

When she arrives, Donghyun and Sewoon are back with their frappes and cake slices, but Youngmin isn't there.

As if reading her mind, Sewoon speaks, "We told him to go order because the line was getting longer. Sorry," he apologizes while giving her a peace sign.

Ji-hye gives him a small smile in response. She actually doesn't get why he has to apologize. It isn't Youngmin's responsibility to wait for her before ordering, after all. She highly doubts he'd do that too.

"You should probably go order now, too," Donghyun suggests. She smiles at him then reaches for her bag to fish her wallet out of the inner pocket.

True enough, when she reaches the counter, there are already five people standing after Youngmin, who is now busy giving his order to the barista. Ji-hye notices that the barista kept on smiling at Youngmin. She rolls her eyes while thinking to herself, "Girl, if you only knew."

A few moments later, Youngmin leaves for their table carrying his tray. After him, the line goes noticeably faster than it was before, until finally, it was Ji-hye's turn to order.

"One matcha latte and a slice of mango cheesecake for me."

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but we just ran out of mango cheesecake. The last slice was ordered already," she says then smiles apologetically. She then proceeds to ask, "Would you want anything other than that?"

Ji-hye can't help but pout because their mango cheesecake is her absolute favorite. She makes it a point to order a slice, even two sometimes (like the last time), whenever she goes here.

"I'll take a blueberry cheesecake, instead," she decides.

She goes back to the table bringing her order only to see that Sewoon and Donghyun are almost finished with their food. She settles down beside Youngmin, and she notices that he hasn't even touched his order yet. For a second, she thinks that he must have waited for her. But then, she dismisses the thought immediately, almost laughing aloud because it is that crazy.

If it weren't for Donghyun's bright personality and mood-making skills, the afternoon would have been one hell of an awkward hangout. Ji-hye really appreciates how he tries to include her in the conversation every chance he gets.

Everyone almost doesn't notice that the female barista is standing beside the table. "Sir, this is your order, to-go," she says then gives Youngmin a small paperbag.

"Thanks," he responds and smiles at the girl. Ji-bye swears she saw the barista blush before turning around.

"Well, I better get going now," Sewoon suddenly announces out of nowhere.

"Me, too! I still have to fetch mom from the store," Donghyun seconds.

Youngmin opens the paperbag slightly to check what's inside before he says, "Let's go?"

As they exit the coffee shop, Sewoon and Donghyun wave goodbye as they both go one direction, while Youngmin and Ji-hye go the opposite way.

Ji-hye waits for Youngmin to walk first so that she can just follow him, but Youngmin, after a few steps, stops and looks back to her.

Surprised, Ji-hye suddenly comes to a halt too.

"Aren't you gonna walk with me?" Youngmin asks her.

It's a good thing it's almost dark now because she can feel her cheeks flush again.

Although shy, she takes a few steps forward and once they are side by side, Youngmin walks again. Ji-hye catches up to him this time.

The walk home is quiet, and somehow, Ji-hye is thankful. She doesn't know how what to talk about with him, anyway.

Youngmin suddenly stops, and Ji-hye, flying in her thoughts, looks at him in surprise.

"We're here."

Ji-hye looks around, and true enough, they are already standing in front of her house. She chuckles, realizing how pre-occupied she must have been all this while to not notice at all.

"Thank you, Youngmin," she shyly says before turning her back to him and heading towards the gate.

"Ji-hye," he softly whispers as he grabs her wrist. Ji-hye freezes at the sudden contact. She then breathes deeply before turning around.

Before she could even speak a word, Youngmin places the small paperbag from the cafe in her hand. "This is for you."

Ji-hye just stands there in front of him, unable to process what's happening.

Youngmin takes this as a chance. Still not letting go of her hand, he squeezes it lightly. "Good night," he says quietly, almost inaudibly, before walking away.

For a few minutes, Ji-hye is left standing there, unable to move. Then she feels the weight of the paperbag and decides to check what's inside.

Although it can only barely be seen under the faint light of the streetlamp, she's sure what's inside after first glance.

It is a slice of her favorite mango cheesecake.

---------------

S u r p r i s e ! ! !

Is this fluff? I'm not sure but I kinda feel giddy while writing it so I hope it's fluffy enough for you, too ;;