2.2

" The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone. "

— Harriet Beecher Stowe

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

2.2 ; BURN.

THE LOUD TRILL OF Caroline's phone text alert rang on the plane. Reid, who was sitting directly in front of her with a chess match in between them, glanced up at her, startled by the noise. All the other profilers were too busy looking into other things to notice.

She grabbed her phone sitting in the chair beside her and checked her messages. Sure enough, she had a text from Rebecca. She bit her lip as she anxiously opened the message.

The text read: Cait is fine. Chris checked on her, she's just blowing off steam. Don't worry, focus on the case.

Caroline sucked in a shallow breath and mashed her teeth together even harder on her bottom lip. She was dangerously close to drawing blood, but she didn't care. Caitlin wasn't fine. She was angry and she was upset and Caroline was here, on a plane almost thirty-thousand feet in the air, instead of with her little sister.

Her fingers tapped across the letters on her phone, typing out the message before sending it.

She sent back: She's not just blowing off steam, she's pissed and she has every right to be. Make sure you, Chris or Aunt G stays with her tonight. She shouldn't be alone right now. Thanks, Bec.

With that, Caroline shut off her phone and shoved it in her black leather bag leaning against her chair, refusing to look at the phone for the rest of the plane ride. As much as she wanted to know what was going on, she did have a job to do, and she couldn't be distracted. She needed to compartmentalize.

"Everything alright?" Reid asked her, not glancing up from the chess board game as he shuffled a white knight piece across the board. "You look worried."

"I'm fine," she lied to him, giving him a convincing smile, "just family stuff, you know?"

"Care, you may be able to fool the rest of the team, but I know you better than that." He told her, his chocolate brown eyes meeting hers. They were warm and kind and earnest as they stared at her. "Now, what's wrong?"

She sighed. She couldn't resist those brown eyes. "It's my sister's sixteenth birthday in two days. I was supposed to say with my family these next couple of days to celebrate, but duty calls."