Chapter 17

I am shaken awake with my head resting against the car, curled up in the very back, almost a piece of luggage

I am shaken awake with my head resting against the car, curled up in the very back, almost a piece of luggage. My eyes flutter open, overwhelmed by Jana's face. "We're here," she silently cheers. "Oh, Hailey, it so beautiful up here. Look outside."

After climbing out of the SUV, and almost tripping to the dirt, I peer up at our surroundings completely mesmerized. A small, dirt road weaves through the trees and we must have followed it up to the cabin, which is set before me. The dark wood blends perfectly with the forest, and stone details play perfectly with the rustic feel. Long story short, the place is huge and looks quite luxurious from the outside. The trickling sounds of running water tickles my ears, meaning we must be close to the creek.

"Who is Daniels Father's friend, again?" I question as we make our way up to the front door.

"I have no idea," Jana mutters, admiring the scenery, "but he must have a love for the outdoors to buy a place like this."

Daniel and Jordan volunteer to bring in the bags while the three of us scout out the cabin. Jordan and Taylor already chose their room, the first door on the right with a large bay window overlooking the forest. Jana picks out the bedroom beside them after making sure that I don't want it. Daniel is easily given the master bedroom as he is the reason we are here in the first place. I happily take the room across the hall. Well, I am happy until I peek inside. Then I feel uneasy.

There is a grey and white plaid comforter on the bed, and if I'm correct, if it's identical to Harrison's, then there will be a small tag with the Woolrich logo on it.

Jordan comes in with my bag and sets it down beside the bed. "Thanks," I mutter and remind myself to smile. "What do we have planned for tonight?"

He shrugs. "Probably just hanging around here. There's a hot tub, hiking trails, huge flatscreen. I think Taylor brought some horror movies that specialize in forestry," he chuckles, "nothing like a cabin in the woods horror movie while staying in a cabin in the woods."

"Very fitting," I nod. "So this friend of Daniels father. . ."

"He's his Dads work friend. They're pretty close. Just two divorced guys trying to live the bachelor life once again. I suppose they have the money to splurge on such things," he looks around the room. "I have to go unpack before Taylor does it for me."

I smile again and nod again, doing anything to seem normal. I close the door behind him and unzip my bag, ready to see what Jana packed for me. Shorts, t-shirts, the pajamas, sweatpants, leggings, long sleeves, my nicer underwear, one matching bra to a pair, and finally, a black, scrunched up, frightening looking bikini. I don't dare touch it as if there is some life-threatening disease on it.

No hot tub for Hailey, not that I would have gone in it anyways. There is a sexual aura that society has given to hot tubs, and I don't think I could be normal and be in there with another person.

Suddenly, there is a knock on the door. Without the need of my answering, Jana peeks in. "Did you see it?"

I roll my eyes. "See what?" I play along.

"You know, that thing you left in your suitcase."

I glance down and dramatically ask, "Oh, you mean the bikini?"

Jana nods. "What do you think about it?"

I motion for her to come in, she does, then closes the door behind her. "Are you Doctor Phil? Are you experimenting with me, seeing how I'll react? Because it's not working. Take the bikini. I'm not wearing it."

Jana sighs. "You don't have to wear it."

"Then why did you pack it?"

She leans against the door. "I dunno. I thought maybe you'd want to go in the jacuzzi. You only have bikinis in that one swimsuit drawer at the very bottom of your dresser, like some jail cell."

"It was at the bottom for a reason. I don't use them anymore. Thank you for thinking about my social inclusion, but I'll still do everything else, everything but the hot tub." I reach for the swimsuit and hand it to her. "I'll even sit beside you while you're in the hot tub, just no swimsuits, no swimming. The entire tackling-fiasco at Watts' was bad enough."

She takes it and drops her hand to her side. "Alright, but what if it's just us? Everyone doesn't have to be there. Just you, me, no judgment, no guys, just two best friends chilling in a hot tub on the porch of a luxurious cabin at Hauls Creek. I brought a one piece, you can use it if you want."

It is a lot to think about. Just us, me and Jana, no Harrison, no Daniel, no Coldgrove townies, no high school students, no flirtatious teachers, no whispering...

"I'll think about it," I tell her.

She takes my answer and leaves, but before the door completely closes, I slip out and search down the hall with my eyes. The master bedroom door is wide open, and I catch a glimpse of Daniel walking inside. On a whim I step through the doorway, a foot from the door, catching his attention.

He stops, giving me a look, mentally asking me what I want.

"Is there a linen closet?"

Daniels eyebrow slightly rises. "Yeah, it's in here. Is something wrong with the bedding?"

I hesitantly follow him inside, into the master bathroom. He opens a small door, revealing many shelves, then steps to the side to let me rummage. "No, I just get really cold," I fib and grab a spare, white duvet from the top shelf, stepping on my tippy toes.

I take the bundle back to my room, close the door, tug off the plaid bedding, then set on the white blanket. The plaid bedding is finally folded and placed on a shelf in the closet, out of sight.

 The plaid bedding is finally folded and placed on a shelf in the closet, out of sight