Chapter 20: No Regrets

I woke from a deep sleep that gave me dreams about the Eiffel Tower and its beauty. I don't know what it was, but for some reason, I couldn't remember anything from the night before. I remembered that the police were at my house and my mother spoke with Officer Watson, but not much else.

I remembered that the gang was after my mother, and I rushed to the motel, but I don't remember how I got home. I tried to just forget about it and get ready for school.

I headed to the bus stop, seeing William. He seemed upset for whatever reason. He'd told me on the bus that he contemplated the fact that he might have had a brother, but he was in denial. I didn't know if Eric was the Unknown Number or not, but he was in the hospital, so I could do nothing to him until he got out.

After a few rough periods, 4th came. Lunch. The sarcastic highlight of my day. Throughout the day leading up to lunch, I noticed that Joshua had been spying on me, taking notes, and even snapping some pictures.

It made me uncomfortable. I sort of figured that it was just him being weird or something, but he was weirder than usual.

The thing that was most odd was Joshua wasn't the only one spying on me. Rachel was spying on me as well. They both sat at the table with me, Caleb, and William.

The mystery behind Caleb going missing on Tuesdays was still unknown, and I had a feeling that Joshua knew something about it.

"Hey, Crystal. How was your day?" Rachel asked.

"I can't tell you that until my day is over."

Rachel chuckled, "How was your morning?"

"It was fine, same as always. Anything else?"

Joshua interrupted, "Have you been feeling okay, Crystal?"

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"Ah, you know... just asking. I mean, if you ever want to talk to us about anything, we're here." Joshua said.

"Good to know."

"I mean, anything. Like anything. Secrets... Phobias... Things you've done... maybe illegal things? Anything."

At this point, I became suspicious of Joshua and Rachel. "I'm fine," I said. William looked over at me, confused. He texted me under the table so nobody would see.

William: Did you tell them anything?

Me: No? Why would I tell them anything?

"Who you texting there?" Rachel asked.

"My mom," William replied.

"You know, it's funny... you and Crystal have your phones out at the same time." Joshua said.

I slammed the table with a clenched fist, "What do you want, Joshua?"

Joshua and Rachel left the table. I had caught on. Joshua knew. He knew that I killed people. But how? I remembered the night before. I remembered that I rode home with Joshua. I was hallucinating. Joslyn had been tormenting me. I remembered what I said. I admitted to killing Joslyn. What have I done?

"Oh shit."

"What?" William asked.

"He knows."

"Knows what?"

"He knows about me. About Joslyn. About... us."

"Us? No, no, no. You." William said.

"We're in this together! I'm not the only one here who's killed, someone."