chapter 21

He is guilty, is what I keep telling my heart; over and over. So I don't succumb to the darkness taking hold of me as we walk through the maze.

With every new turn in the maze my heart sinks deeper into my hollow of a chest by the sight of him being dragged behind us by ten hounds.

Despite constantly warning myself, I steal yet another peek behind Leo's shoulder as we continue walking ahead. My guts immediately threaten to spill out and my eyes start watering.

The hounds have their teeth buried in every part of his flesh they could find. Four of the hounds ahead dragging the chain attached to his handcuffs while the others have their teeth sunk deep inside his shoulders, arms and even his wings. Pulling his limp body ahead. Rough dark stoned ground scraping his skin, which has drawn enough blood that it has become impossible to make out any lines of his body or face. All that my eyes can see is blood. Even his wings in the darkness do not resemble the beautiful light shade of gray they always have but instead a color that looks like brown clay.

"Is this necessary?" I hiss at Leo, pulling at his hands for the eighth time.

"It is the rule Rose. When an angel surrenders at my gate asking for a trial of redemption this is the path he must follow. He chose this Rose" Leo ran his hands through his hair again, taking a loot of Arakh's condition; he starts taking big steps to reach the river of death, across which Arakh's trial will take place.

I try keeping up with him but inwardly begging Leo to walk slower to maybe make it less painful for Arakh.

Even though not even a single grunt leaves Arakh's lips; I am sure is in a lot of pain. His silence though makes me wonder if he can really endure it that well or is he just that good in hiding, even his own emotions and feeling.

I for one knew that whatever was to come up next is going to be far more worst than I could ever imagine enduring.

We take one last turn in the maze which leads to an open beach with dark waters ahead and I can see a boat waiting at the shore, as we walk closer to it.

Once there I clime first on the plain boat and wait for Leo to help bring Arakh up too, but all he does is tie Arakh's chains at the end of the boat letting the boat drag him into the water helplessly as he struggles to stay above the water, to avoid drowning.

Even Leo turns away this time. Not being able to look at his struggles for too long. I go towards the demon that is moving a snake shaped wooden staff attached to the boat ahead, making the small plain ancient boat push forward through the thick water.

"Can you speed it up please" I request the demon but all he does is continue looking ahead. I turn back around to watch Leo rub his hands across his face as he gives a little tug to the chain, helping pull Arakh from under the water, preventing him from sinking in deep.

I grit my teeth, my hands fisting at the sides; I give a stern hard look to the demon but when he refuses to acknowledge me, in rage I push him aside and grab the staff in my hands. I push the staff away from me, inclining it as far away as it can go and watch with relief as the boat picks up speed.

"Hold him up" I order Leo to help Arakh and feel a little better when I see him complying to my request and hoisting Arakh up and away from the water.

When I see the other side of the shore visible I lower the speed of the boat and let the scowling demon take back the control.

----------

I spot Rezekiel standing besides the few other angels that as Leo explained had gathered around to witness the event. Apparently before surrendering Arakh had gone to heaven and asked them to be witness. As he wanted to finally prove it to all that he was truly innocent. Why did he suddenly felt the need of taking such drastic measures I did not understand.