16: Long and boring

Alyssa Mells POV

I tugged on the ends of my skirt, I only just got here and the taste of coffee burnt on my tongue. Amy insisted I had some before I left the house and now I'm over excited and couldn't sit still. The two bearded men came in today and I had served them again. The red bearded one hadn't made any attempts to hit on me which I was thankful for. But they did sniff at me. Were they werewolves? I felt useless because my werewolf senses are only starting to come in. Sitting on a bar stool, one leg over the other as I sorted through recites.

"Excuse me I was wondering - " the man with the red beard stopped dead in his tracks, eyes zeroed in on my ankle. I looked down, spotting my anklet.

"How may I help you?" I asked politely before getting off the stool to stand.

"Uh, could we please have two cokes." His eyes didn't leave my anklet, turning back he quickly retreated back to his table. I strained to hear them but I did. "She's mated."

"I can't smell it." The black bearded men replied. So they are werewolves! "How do you know?"

"Her anklet." The red bearded man eyed my ankle from far away. The black bearded man angled his head to see.

"I bet you feel bad for hitting on her now." The black beard snorted. "She's not mated yet or I would smell it, probably turning sixteen soon and her mate got it for her." I quickly rushed to make their drinks, continuing to listen in.

"Two cokes." I smiled, placing them onto their table.

"Beautiful anklet." The black bearded man pointed out.

"Thank you, I got it as an early birthday present." I replied, wiping the condensation off my hands and onto my apron. "Anything else can I help you with?"

"You didn't tell your mate - about what I said the other day?" He looked nervous. I bit my lip, they seemed less likely to hit on me if I did have a mate.

"No, I didn't." I fixed my apron. "You corrected yourself so." I laughed awkwardly as another couple walked into the door. "Excuse me." I quickly left, grabbing my note book ready to get their order, they were regulars, they order the same thing every day.

The two bearded men were still seated in their table as my shift was nearly over. The bell chimed from the door, gaining my attention as I looked up, I smiled as Axel, Rosie and Darren walked in. I walked over to them, Axel greeted me with a hug, wrapping his arms around my waist tightly. I could still feel the stare of the two bearded men on me as Axel greeted me happily.

"Shifts almost over." He said in a sing song voice, taking a seat at a table. Laughing, they ordered drinks. I smiled, walking away with their orders. My face warmed as I heard something from Rosie I never thought I'd hear.

"Axel, stop staring at her ass." And she didn't say it in a joking manner. I didn't know how to feel, I felt weird for being slightly excited. But I mean, he's Amys brother.

My best friends brother.

The two bearded men waved me down, I held up my hand to Haylee and quickly walked over to them. I wonder if these two belonged to the pack. I tucked a few strands behind my ears, thankfully I had put my hair up in a bun before work. "Is that one your mate?" The red bearded man asked. Before I could reply Haylee hip bumped me out the way.

"I can't work the coke machine." She told me, I nodded, smiling apologetically at them before rushing behind the counter to fix the machine.

I carried the drinks over to Axel, Rosie and Darren with a smile. "Here we go." I smiled, they paid, Axel over tipping me and brushing it off with a wink. Smiling, I went to grab my coat, my shift ending and my replacement walking into Busy Burger. Pulling on my green drench coat I buttoned it up, Axel throwing an arm over my shoulder as we walked out the restaurant.

"Where do you want to go?" Axel asked as we all climbed into the car, somehow I landed shot gun.

"I need to get a few things from the convenience store." I shrugged, gnawing on my lip.

"Oh! I need to get more chips!" Rosie cheered excitedly, bringing a laugh out from everyone as she smiled excitedly. "What I like chips?" She shrugged smiling.

Axel pulled the car to a hault, turning it off as Rosie and Darren got out. "I need a few things to." He smiled patting my thigh. My face heated. He was meant to be encouraging but my body felt... weird. Maybe it was the effects of my sixteenth being so close.

We walked inside the convenience store, I walked straight to the clothes section, spying a cheap shirt and underwear. I squealed in surprise when Axel stood on my shoe on accident. "Sorry." He apologized.

"Axel, come check this out." He sent me a quick smile, ruffling my hair before taking off after Rosie.