CHAPTER NINETEEN

Tony was flying the quinjet a little too fast. Nat got up from beside him and went to check up on Clint who'd been hit from the earlier fight. He seemed to be recovering well, but she knew they needed to fly a little quicker. Cap was checking Clint's vitals. Thor marveled at finally having retrieved Loki's lost scepter after a year of searching. Bruce was in a corner of the quinjet, loud, classical music spilling out of his headphones. Cosima was in the other side of the quinjet, attached with rope on her torso and bound with metal on her wings, making them outstretched and less deadly to everyone else on board. She was still asleep, or so everybody thought.

The pill Cosima had bit on made her appear asleep, but actually remain very awake. It would last five hours, but she could glean valuable information from her captors - the Avengers - and plan her escape.

"Hey. The lullaby worked better than ever," she heard a woman say. It was faint to her ears, but she thought she had heard this voice before in a time gone by. 

"I just wasn't expecting a code green," a man said, presumably the person she was talking to. 

"Well, if you hadn't been there, there would have been double the casualties." Cosima could almost hear the smirk in the woman's voice. "My best friend would have been a treasured memory." This flirting game was boring to Cosima. There was nothing of value to her - nothing on how to escape. She drifted out of their sappy conversation. 

"Feels good, yeah? I mean you've been after this thing since SHIELD collapsed," someone new said. It was the man who had found her chained up in her cell. He continued, "Not that I haven't enjoyed our little raiding parties."

"No but this ... this brings it to a close."

"As soon as we find out what else this has been used for, and I don't just mean weapons. Since when has Stryker been capable of human enhancement?"

Another boring conversation. Cosima drifted out, listening for anything of use. 

"And you've been after that ... girl ... since SHIELD collapsed. What you gonna do with her?" It was the man who has found Cosima in her cell again. But who was he asking?

"I don't know." The other man paused. "See if she knows anything about Bucky, about her family and what's been done to her."

"She's a nasty piece of work though. How do you know she's gonna cooperate?"

"She will."

"Well let me know when that begins because I wanna be there to see that." She could hear footsteps come closer to her. "What are her wings made of anyway?" The man touched her wings. Cosima snapped.

She flung the man across the quinjet with her wing, ripping the metal binding it to the quinjet. She shot up, her eyes focused on who she had thrown. An evil smirk formed across her face.

"It's like metal," the man who had been thrown said. "She's got metal wings. Isn't that just something."

Cosima looked up at her captors. Why wasn't there any retaliation. At Hydra, there would have been. She looked around to see if the twins were here too, but they weren't.

Clint looked over at her. "What's she looking for? Trying to size us all up?"

"Yeah, better cover her eyes."

Someone went to fetch a piece of cloth for her eyes. Cap came to put it on. 

"I wouldn't do that," Cosima said.

"And why not?" the man who she threw across the room asked. "It's not like you could rip yourself from the wall and attack him."

"I could, but that's no fun." Cosima used her wing to quickly grab the cloth that was meant to go round her eyes and wrapped it around Cap's eyes, one winged. She pushed him with that wing into Nat who was pushed into Clint's side. He gasped a little, cringing in pain. 

"Is that what you call fun?" Nat asked, infuriated. Nat knew as soon as Tony had radioed in he had found Cosima that she would be different. She felt sorry for the girl, but no longer. This girl was twisted and wicked, not like the girl she had met a year ago who was friendly yet cold. 

"Yeah. You just don't understand. It's where I'm from. Course a girl like you in your perfect background wouldn't understand."

Although Nat rarely showed her feelings, she felt compelled to against the insult. "You wanna know what I've been through and where I've been, cause I'll make yo-"

"Go on and tell me. It'll make it easier to find a pressure point in you." Nat froze a little before taking out a knife from her pocket and held it to Cosima's throat. Cosima chuckled a bit. "You don't need to tell me where you're from. You've a slight Russian accent, meaning you're either from the three Hydra facilities or another lethal training academy. Or maybe you're just faking the accent, but it seems so natural in your voice it can't be. Since you're a woman with the amazing capabilities that you have, I'd say you didn't go to Hydra and you weren't dragged there like me either. I'd say you're from the Red Room, and that little sad glint in your eye gives it away. You know what else gives it away? I've also been there, and I know a Red Room girl when I've seen one." Of course the last bit wasn't true, but Cosima wanted to be intimidating, and she certainly was.

Nat looked at Cosima a little bit longer, assessing her. Cap tapped Nat's shoulder. She got up slowly, looked at Cosima one last time and moved on. Cosima scared Nat. She remembered such a different version of Cosima, yet that version was gone - wiped away from history and the Hydra files. The scared teenage girl in the hospital bed was gone, and instead a monster lingered in the memories of that girl, Cosima.