Hope

AN: Did someone say the last chapter wasn't enough?

Ithel

"Things are getting clearer", Trin said. "Not so good for you two, though"

That was how Trin greeted me in the morning.

It was the third day since Cailyn came. Trin was back to watch over us. I was very happy that she did so and I expressed my gratitude towards her. With her, we had one meal a day and we drank twice a day. I suggested she gave my food to Ceri, but she ignored me.

When I asked him, Ceri said that Trin treated his wounds again and that he was doing better. I wasn't certain if it was true or if he was just trying to ease my worry, but I think Ceri wouldn't lie so well. So I believed him.

I rolled my shoulders to ease the pain and I sighed. Now here we were. I was still tired, without proper food and being confined to this snare with my hands tied behind my back. I could only imagine how Ceri was feeling. I told him that everything will be better, even though I couldn't really know. I told him that his father was safe and waiting for him, to which he didn't answer at all. I tried to get him to talk about Alev or even mention him, but he wouldn't. Even at night, I couldn't help him with his terrors. He'd wake up suddenly and call my name frantically, just to make sure that I was still here.

Being so helpless was all extremely frustrating. Especially whenever I remembered what happened to my mate and the fact that the hound responsible for all of this was still on the loose.

Trin squatted at the edge of my snare. The sun was right behind her, which gave me a headache to look directly at her.

"I asked Cailyn about you two.", she taunted.

"The Leader will find a way. He has to"

"I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you"

"Thank you for feeding us, anyway. You're the only one who does". It was true. I didn't trust the other hunters. Whenever Trin was gone, I couldn't sleep or stop focusing on the sounds around me, afraid Drita may come and take my Ceri again.

"I'm not doing it for you. I'm doing it for Halina"

I smiled, remembering the time she invited me to stay with her family for a meal. That woman helped us even when she couldn't descend the mountain. "She's a very kind Aella"

Trin nodded, "She's an Elder who's beautiful, fertile and not arrogant. We don't have many of those"

"... Does she still cry?", Ceri asked hesitantly.

"No. She has to be strong for her children. Also that little minx, Epona, she told her to do something instead of weeping."

I chuckled and wondered if Ceri was smiling right now. He loved his cousins so much. He always spoke about how he'll teach Vreis everything he knows once Cailyn claims him to the forest, and that he'll send many things to Epona to brag about.

"I think that one will make a fine hunter one day", Trin said. Definitely talking about Cailyn's daughter. I totally agreed. If only that could happen soon, Ceri would have a very strong supporter and he wouldn't fear the Aella hunters anymore.

"Has Cailyn said anything about us?", I asked

Trin smirked, "Wouldn't you like to know?"

She walked away with just that. I almost rolled my eyes. She was a good woman, but she loved to tease and play games. It was adding to my headache. Nothing would make me any less tense right now other than the sight of Ceri. He needed me

And I needed him just as much...

It was only during the afternoon that I saw another Aella passing. She looked in a hurry and didn't even spare me a look. It seemed that she was talking to Trin quietly. All I could hear was Cailyn's name and other names that sounded like they belonged to Aellas. A couple of hours later, as the sun was setting, Trin came to me again. She looked less than eager to tease and that only meant bad news.