Grayson's Point of View: Chapter 16

So many errors.

Chapter 16

I winced as I poked at the bruise on my face. I sighed and walked down the steps, towards the kitchen. My father was making breakfast and my mother was sitting at the table, a file in her hands. It's rare that we have breakfast together. This is one of the days where my mother doesn't have to leave before I wake up. "Good morning."

"Morning." My mother absentmindedly muttered as her eyes scanned the papers in her hands. I dragged a chair out from beneath the table, plopping down and reaching for the plate of bacon my father set on the table. "What happened to your face?"

I looked up at my mom, ready to reply with a sarcastic comment about how whatever it is, it's probably from her side of the family before realizing that something is actually wrong with my face. A large, purple bruise, all thanks to Audrey Peters. In her defense, I was being a jerk but that doesn't mean she should go all Chuck Norris to my face with a door. "Oh, it was just Audrey."

"Audrey did that?" My mother questioned as she looked at me, her eyes narrowed slightly and her lips parted. She held my face between her fingers as she inspected the bruise.

I nodded, helping to loosen her grip on my cheeks so I could pull away. "Yeah, I deserved it, though."

My father turned around, walking towards the table with a pan full of eggs. It was cut equally into thirds so he could put a portion on each of our plates. When he looked at me, he let out one short laugh. "Ha, you look like a little bi—."

"Honey!" My mother replied, laughing quietly as she turned to him.

He shrugged. "What? He does!"

I frowned as I ate a piece of bacon. "What a great way to start off the day."

"With rhymes, son." My father sighed as he sat down.

~~~

I entered the cafeteria, where most people sat before the day started. Some of them were eating breakfast, provided by the school, and others had bags of fast food. I found Kyle, Carson, and Shane all sitting at a table. I walked over, plopping down across from Shane, who snorted once he caught sight of my face. "What? Is your neck too mainstream?"

"It's a bruise, you idiot." I quickly demolished whatever assumptions he had about the bruise on my face. "Audrey slammed a door in my face, it's nothing big."

"What? Audrey did that?" Kyle asked as he stopped what he was writing in order to look up at me.

I nodded. "Yeah, I deserved it, though."

"You deserved to be smacked in the face with a door?" Carson snorted before jokingly continuing. "You must really like her if you think it's okay for her to physically assault you."

"I don't like her anymore, guys. It was just a phase and I shouldn't have said anything about it." I responded, glaring at Carson.

"So what did you say?" Kyle questioned as he repacked his bag.

"Something that I shouldn't have." I sighed. 

"Something that earns you a door to the face? I'd love to hear this." Shane scoffed, yanking his chair closer to the table.

"I said that Natalie would look better in her Halloween costume." I admitted.

It was silent for a moment before Shane coughed. "And then did you insult her mother or something?"

I shook my head. "No, I said that Natalie would look better in her costume."

Shane shook his head. "Wait, can you tell us exactly what happened? For some reason, I'm not seeing the offensiveness of this statement."