chapter 8

phil's pov

he's so cute. that timid little smile, where his lips curl at the end and small wrinkles form beside his dark caramel eyes. i adore the small dimpled crevice that decorates his face, and the way he brushes his messy hair out of his eyes with the tips of his fingers. i smile and nod as he talks about his favourite things, animatedly waving his dry hands, gesturing about the things he loves. i soak up all the details, but mostly i watch him throughout the entirety of the conversation.

the small twinkle in dan's eyes dim slightly as he abruptly stops talking about his favourite music. his arms lower and he sheepishly smiles at me. "sorry, you're probably really bored. i'm just not used to having someone's entire attention."

another bullet flails itself at my heart, a feeling that frequently occurs. "don't apologise, i love hearing you talk," i smile back. "you deserve to be listened to."

the tips of his ears turn pink and he casts his gaze over to a object on my nearby desk. i chuckle lightly at his behaviour, trying not to make it obvious that i'm so intrigued. i must fail though, because he turns around to question me. "stop staring at me, you're making me nervous."

i shake my head and look down at the duvet. i trace the bed lightly, thinking back to the night we sat on the bed together at that party. it's similar in a way, how we're both seated on the bed, with me watching him. it's pleasant this time though, he's smiling and opening up. truthfully, i'm still a little nervous that he's suddenly going to give me that piercing glare again and run away, but i'm hoping it's just a silly fear.

"phil?" he sighs, hesitantly setting a hand on my knee. "i'm sorry again about the other night. i know i already apologised, but i want to do it again. i didn't mean to make you upset, and i'm sorry that i didn't listen to your advice. i should've known that troye was going to hurt me, and i should've realised that you were the one that was really on my side."

he pauses to take breath so i cut in. "seriously dan, you need to stop apologising. i was the one who overreacted, and i was the one who started interfering in your relationship. i hate that you're upset, and i hate that tyler and troye did that to you. you're so caring and beautiful, and you shouldn't have to endure such awful things. i want you to be happy, and i want you to let it go. okay?"

he stares at me and holds up a delicate hand. i have a small moment where i'm afraid he's going to slap me, but instead he caresses my cheek. he shuts his eyes, exhaling deeply to calm himself. he leans towards me, his warm breath blowing across my face. i bite my lip anticipating his next move, hoping i'll survive. he holds so much power over me right now, a potentially dangerous thought which terrifies me. he continues to get closer, until we're only centimetres apart. "thank you," he whispers, sounding so small, like he's on the verge of tears.

suddenly he turns his head and kisses my cheek, startling me enough that i gasp loudly. he giggles softly in response, watching as i struggle to find words. "you tease," i say finally, giggling along with him. our laughs grow louder, twinkling like wedding bells on a cool spring morning. i lean my head on his chest and listen as his heartbeat races, almost as fast as my own.

soon enough, we're clutching our abdomens, tears forming in our squinted eyes as we laugh about anything and everything. meaningless words rush from our eager lips in a humorous fashion, an unknown competition forming as we see who can make the other laugh louder. i brush his hair out of his eyes as he wipes away a tear off my cheek. now, staring into his big brown eyes, i feel nothing but content, and maybe just a little smitten.

tyler's pov

"troye?" my voice croaks as i struggle to continue pushing on his bedroom door. silence, though, is my only response.

i had waited for almost an hour before i realised he wasn't going to come and get me from the living room. i'd come up to check on him but the door was locked, and still is. awhile ago he'd been crying softly, but now it's faded into a noiseless void of concern. i want to leave him alone, but i need to know that he's okay. i've tried so many times to get him to speak, but it's pointless. he refuses to show his face, or even utter whether or not he is okay.

suddenly, the sound of a lock clicking fills the emptyness. the door swings open just the slightest bit to reveal the corner of his reddening face. "what's wrong?" i mumble nervously, in an attempt to get him to open up. i fumble with my hands and stare at the stained hardwood flooring nervously.

he shakes his head carefully, as if contemplating what to say. "i'm sorry," his voice says, cracking a bit. "i've made a terrible mistake."

the door slams shut again before i can get out a single word. the lock is back in place and all traces of conversation have dispersed into the tense air. i spin around on my heel, completely giving up on trying to make whatever happened between us right. not a single bone in my body has even an inkling of what is going on with him. i don't what i said, or did, to make him this upset. i have been trying my best to make him happy, and to keep my spot as his boyfriend, but it's becoming increasingly difficult.

he's so closed off, and concerning. i can almost see why he got along with dan for such a long amount of time, but not really. then again, dan's just a jerk trying to take away troye's spotlight. i, on the other hand, actually like troye, and not just because he's popular, although that is a factor. i like troye because he's cute and he likes to have fun. i like his dazzling eyes and his accent. i like how he sings under his breath and gradually gets louder as people notice.

the list of qualities i like are endless, and i can barely think of anything i dislike. except for one thing, which turns out to be a major problem. he doesn't really talk. he's quiet, and reserved. i barely know about his past and secrets, and he doesn't seem too eager to tell me anything. it'd be nice to know why he's so upset, so i can help. relationships are supposed to be all about communication, right? so why is he refusing to acknowledge me? more importantly though, what does he mean by mistake?

we haven't done anything wrong. i've treated everyone correctly. i gave troye my love and attention, i gave his friends my time and intrigue, i gave phil my—wait. i haven't really given phil anything. he's probably hurt too, and vaguely knowing dan, he's most likely offended as well. i guess that could be a reason that troye is upset, because he's concerned about the other people in this situation. he shouldn't be though, they're probably fine. phil's a smart boy, he can get on without me.

the sound of floorboards creaking causes me to whirl around in shock. troye is stood there in his baggy pyjamas, gazing at me curiously. i open my mouth to try and ask what's wrong again, but i'm stopped by a pair of lips slamming against my own. it takes a moment for me to react, but knce i have, i pour myself into the moment. i grab troye's cheeks firmly, holding his mouth carefully against my own. he moves his lips and tongue expertly, as if kissing me is the easiest thing he's ever done. i try my best too, hopeful that i'm doing it right.

the taste of his salty lips grips my senses, reeling me in even more. as if i weren't already obsessed with him enough, he's given me even more reason to want to stay. i love the feeling of us touching. the way his mouth explores mine lights some sort of fire within me. i push against his chest but he pulls away suddenly, breathing deeply. i grin at him confidently, pushing my glasses higher up on the bridge of my nose. he stares at me, like he's searching for something. a smile flickers across his face, like a blunt lighter struggling to produce a flame. he seems confused.

troye's pov

but where were the sparks?

a/n thank you rickyblitzz for inspiring me and always being so nice to me. i can't express how thankful i am to have met you on here. ily!!