Chapter 53

"You saw Fred? How was he?" Ginny asked at breakfast the next morning, her brows furrowed with concern. I grimaced, biting into my eggs and swallowing before I answered.

"I didn't really see him. It was dark. But he seems fine. A little touchy, but we all are in these conditions, I suppose." I lowered my voice as Alecto passed by our table, her hands clenched together behind her back. Ginny didn't reply til Alecto was much farther down, and even then her voice was hushed.

"Well, I'm glad he's doing fine. I miss them so much." She said wistfully, and I nodded in understanding. I missed my family too.

"This will all be over soon, hopefully." I said in as comforting a manner as I could, placing a hand on her shoulder gently. Ginny smiled at me. Since my break down in her bedroom the other night, we had found ourselves on even ground, and had quickly become each other's confidante's and emotional outlets; With her I was able to let my guard down enough to mourn Draco properly, and she was able to miss Harry openly.

Our moments of weakness were short, but it was better than nothing. And it felt better to have someone to talk to, as I never really had that opportunity before, as I had been scooted off to the Longbottom's before I could really process anything.

"Also, Ginny- I need your help with something." I said slowly. I hadn't told her about going to the ball yet, and I certainly wasn't looking forward to, but I knew I couldn't keep it from her. She looked at me curiously, one eyebrow raised.

"What with?"

"I need you to pick out a dress with me- And a mask. A mask is key."

"You don't mean for the ball, do you?" Her voice lowered to a hiss again, and I grimaced, shrugging apologetically.

"I know, I know. But the Order wants me there to see what's going on, and I can't ignore that. As much as I would like to." I added as an after thought, pursing my lips. Ginny sighed.

"But we were going to-"

"I know." I said miserably. "You should still do it, just find someone else- I'm sure Luna will be great. Besides, it might be handy to have someone on the inside. And it'll give us a chance to shop, eh?" I nudged her lightly, forcing a smile. "Be girls."

"That means we'll have to do your nails too, then." Ginny sighed, but this time good-naturedly. I let out a soft chuckle, shushing myself as Amycus passed by.

"When do you want to leave?" Ginny asked once he had passed. I bit my lip in thought for a moment, considering my options. The Order hadn't sent me any Galleons yet, and while I had some of my own I could use, I was sure it wouldn't be enough to get both a dress and mask.

"Um, maybe the day before Halloween. I'm sure everyone will already have their stuff by then, so hopefully it'll be less crowded anyway." I decided, giving a small shrug. Halloween was in four days, after all. Friday.

"Sounds like a plan, then."

_

"Oh, hell- Luna, hold Vera's arm still for me please." I asked, grimacing as the squirming third year let out a soft whimper of pain as I gingerly dabbed at an open cut. Luna complied, coming to sit behind us and carefully taking Vera's arm, her touch light as she smiled at Vera comfortingly.

With her kind nature, the younger years had taken to Luna rather quickly, and she took to them just as easily, making breezy and light conversation that, while somewhat perplexing at times, relaxed the frightened kids well enough.

"Thanks, Luna." I sighed, picking up my wand to place a healing spell. I was getting better at them, and had taken to studying different techniques and spells outside of D.A meetings, trying to get them as perfect as possible. I watched with mild fascination as the small cut knitted itself closed, leaving only a freckle of a scar.