chapter 17 | friends now?, we meet again

Four Months Ago

Four Months Ago

Saturday Evening

Phoenix drives JC and Riz back to their cars, down by the lake. Behind us, the sun sits on the edge of the horizon, casting shadows on the beach and coloring the sky in explosive hues of pink, yellow and orange. It's stunning.

"It looks like I'll have to call my driver to take him home. He's leaning a little too much." Phoenix notices as he lets down the window. "Hey, Riz! I'm calling Leon. You can't drive like that, man."

"Cool." Riz stumbles towards a wooden bench overlooking the breathtaking sky and water as the waves come in. He drops down kind of hard, then eases back, resting his head.

"Let's wait with him till Leon gets here." Phoenix calls his driver. ". . . yeah, we're at the lake . . ." When he's done, he looks at me. "So, you had a good time today?"

"Today was pretty perfect. Surprisingly, since it started off so horribly but I feel good now."

It's odd how he's always interrupting your sorrow. He comes in for the save at just the right time.

"I never expected that when I left my house this morning, the day would end up like this. Me coming to the lake, seeing your capoeira group practice, which was so dope by the way, finding you guys, hanging out all day. This was just what I needed to take my mind off all the bullshit."

"Oh, yeah?" His ears seem to cock up.

"But that's a whole other story I'd rather not touch right now. Everything is just too perfect."

An exotic, grey and black luxury car pulls up in front of us. I've never seen one in person. Only in the movies.

"Leon whipped out the Ghost, I'll be right back." Phoenix gets out and to my surprise, helps Riz to the car. He talks to his driver for a moment and they drive off.

He's a good friend.

Phoenix gets back to the truck.

"The Ghost?" I ask, with a puzzled look on my face.

He smiles to himself. "Rolls Royce Ghost Series II. Leon could've brought the Wraith or the Phantom. He chose the Ghost."

"Wraith? Phantom? It's like you're speaking another language."

"Both are cars. Rolls Royce."

"Oh." I glance out the window at the waves. "Can I ask you a question? If you have a driver, why are you driving this truck? I don't get it."

He laughs. "A lot of people don't. I value my independence. I use Leon only when I need to. Taking me to and from meetings when I need to prep beforehand, going in and out of the city on long drives, things like that but when I'm doing my own thing, I like to take the wheel myself."