A Loss & A New Beginning

Lucas's P.O.V

Mom and me were sitting on swing porch after Aunt Mel went in the house to go to sleep. It was already about midnight. Mom layed her head on my shoulder and sighed.
" What's wrong Ma, you good?"
" Baby boy listen, you just don't know how much I love you; you mean the world to me."
" I love you too Ma, and Imma do everything I can to keep you and Aunt Mel happy and that's a promise shorty."
" Lucas". She turned and looked at me with tears in her eyes.
" Baby boy, Im so proud of you; you are already strong, so strong you can handle anything that gets thrown at you. I want you to stay prayed up at all times. Remember where you goin' in life God got you there. Never forget that you hear me?"
" Yes Ma'am, I understand". I looked Mama in her hazel brown eyes just like mine. I didn't feel myself crying until she wiped tears from my eyes.
" Don't cry, this is a happy occasion. Your dreams are finally coming true Nunu. I bet if you reach up to grab the stars thats how far you've already gotten." She kissed me on my forehead and got up.
" Lets go inside and go to sleep, its already late and you need some rest from all the work you and the boys all week".
We went inside and changed into our pajamas. Mama came in my room and sat down next to me. She started to rub my head like she always used to do when I was younger.
" Mama can you sing that one song you used to sing to me all the time?"
" Boy I thought you hated that song as much as I used to sing it and play it around the house", she said as she muffed my head.
" Oww, I said that so you could put on somethin else but that song alway used to put me to sleep"
" Ok baby boy, Erykah Badu it is" As she started to sing " Next Lifetime", I closed my eyes and started to drift off to sleep.
" I love you Lucas, " je vous verrai la prochaine vie". She kissed me softly on my forehead and hugged me tight.
" I love you too queen", I said sleepily.
I didn't think anything of the last part of what she said to me. Until it was too late. She walked out of my room and I went to sleep almost instantly.

The next morning I had to get up early to meet Armon and Trey at the mall so we could get shirts made. Stretching I get up and check my phone and open the windows. The sun was just rising so it was like a dark blue outside. I start to head to mama's room so I could wake her up for work.
" Shorty wake up it's time to get ready". No reply. So I open the door and see that her bed was neatly made. I thought to myself that she might had to go into the nursing home early today. That was a normal thing. Before I turned to walk out I see a note with my name on it. Walking over and reaching down, I began to read it.

" Dear Lucas,
If you are reading this right now I am so sorry. I just couldn't keep on suffering with all of this pain inside. Pretending everything was fine. It needed to stop. I know you'll probably never understand why. But some things are meant to be unexplained. I just want you to know that I love you with everything that I have. And Im so proud of you. Remember I will always be watching over you, guarding you, protecting you. Like you have done for me. Read Philippians 4:13 in God's word. Hopefully that will encourage you on your life journey. Take care Of you Aunt Melissa. Love her. And watch her because you know she can be crazy. I'll see you in heaven Nunu.
With all of my heart, Mama.

With tears in my eyes, I dropped the letter and ran to my Aunt's room.
" WHERE IS MAMA , WHERE IS SHE!"
" Boy do you know what time it is! Don't come in here yelling".
" I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT ANYTHING THAT YOU TALKING ABOUT WHERE IS MY MAMA! Aunt Mel saw the tears and the look in my eyes. I saw the realization come across her face. She jumped up and raced to the bathroom. I heard her scream and I ran into the bathroom. Blood. Everywhere. The shower curtain was closed and bloody finger prints were on them. I walked pass Aunt Mel and pushed the curtains open. There she was. Several cuts on her arms. Deep Cuts. A long deep cut in the fabric of her pajama pants on her leg. The water was a deep red color. Aunt Mel was screaming in the phone. I couldn't take my eyes off of her. I touched her cheek: cold as ice. Her eyes were closed; never to open again. I grabbed her hand, kissed, and held it.
" Tu n'as plus à blesser", I whispered. Hot tears rolled down my face as my body shook. Aunt Mel was still screaming in a ball near the bathroom door. I didn't let my Moms hand go until the Ambulance got there.

A week later the funeral came. The record company I was signed to payed for everything. I couldn't be more grateful. I made sure that there would be no black at my my mama's funeral. She hated that color anyway. Baby blue or sky blue was her favorite color. So that's the color everyone wore. Armon and Trey supported me and Aunt Mel the whole time since we found my mom in the bathtub. They happened to be coming to pick me up that day. They found me still holding on to her hand. She was right I am in good hands with them. Aunt Mel held my hand the whole service. We both were being strong, at least trying to be. The service was coming to an end and I was giving the last remarks.

" My mom, was more than just beautiful. I don't even think it's a word to describe her. She was more than Amazing. She was just her. She was strong. And she always encouraged me to be strong. She always told me, " Nunu God has a plan for you trust in him always He'll never fail". I'm going to live by those words and I'm going to make sure my shorty's legacy lives on. I love you my queen".
I went to go sit down and everyone was on their feet clapping. I felt a little better after my remarks. The funeral was through shortly and we made our way to the burial sight. Lavender flowers were her favorite and daisies. I made sure her casket was decorated in them. When they started to lower the casket I broke down. But Armon and Trey caught me. I'm so grateful for brothers like them.

A year passed and me and the boys career took off like a rockets. Tours. Album release parties. Music videos. But we remained humble. One day my manager called me.
" Lucas my man we need to have a talk about your education hows it going?"
" Its not going we've been on the road I thought I was done with school my guy".
" Not exactly Lucas, you seee you haven't got all of your credits like Armon and Trey. They are finished. You have to go back to school to make up those credits so you can at least recieve your diploma."
" Man listen, ain't no school taking me."
" Oh yes it is, I've already found the perfect school and I'm not taking no for an answer. So go buy school supplies because you WILL be there sharp and early tomorrow." He hung up before I could say anything else. I don't even like school. I pulled out a picture of me an my mama that I carry around all the time. Mama told me that if I don't get my education first nothing else I do matters. I won't let her down. So i grab my keys and head to the nearest school supply store. Later that night I looked up the school I would be attending. It was an Arts school. At least have classes that Ill be good at I thought.

The next day after the principle introduced me to the whole school. I had time to tour the school by myself before music class. Every girl seemed to be following me. And I'm not gone lie I enjoyed the attention but I just wanted to be left alone to think. So I started to run, looking for a place to hide. Until I got to the 3rd floor where the was a door that looked like the opening to the roof....

What it do yall!! Please tell me how you like this chapter, comment, vote, share, etc. - shy 🤗