chapter ten

uncertainty

They couldn't be as smart as they pretended if they wanted her to have a seat on their committee.

She got very little time to talk to Julian before she was ushered away.

When they met up with Hayley and Macie in the hallway, she stopped to watch the show. The fit those girls were throwing made Jess look like a sweetheart. Hayley was close to decking a thin, uptight alien dude and Macie was wailing something furious.

"She's scared and you're not making it any better, you bozo. She's just a kid."

"I have no desire to upset the human child, but she has been chosen. It is an honor."

"You've said all this. Does it look like she cares? Now back away, you stupid fuck."

When Simmin tried to motion her forward, Jess made a rude gesture so she could taunt her new friend. "Poor, Hayley. Don't want to play nice?"

"I'm learning from you. Nice show you put on yesterday, it just warmed the heart. Ever get your panties out of your ass?"

"I was having a nice day till I ran across you. Do you usually have that effect on people?"

"Why don't you ask Julian? He liked the effect I was having on him."

"Human Jessalynn, I would advise that we try not to be tardy. Some very important people will be present."

Hayley winced. "Jessalynn? Ouch! That name sucks."

"Want to eat my fist?"

"Why don't you be on your way? I don't care what Bozo says, if Macie doesn't want to go, she's not going."

"She's.... wait. Is that his real name?"

Hayley grinned. "Bozo, meet Jesse."

"That's truly priceless."

"Human Jessalynn."

Rolling her eyes at Simmin's interruption, she gave the other woman her back. "Anyway, if she wants to come with me, she can. I'll keep her close then bring her back to you."

Hayley looked at her to make sure she was serious then she looked at her sister. "How about it, kid? You remember Jesse, right?"

"Sure, she does. She's going to come play with Mel soon. My sister loves playing outside. How about you, Macie?"

She shrugged her little shoulder.

"Come on, sweetie. You and I will stick together." Jess was surprised when the little girl offered her hand.

"Julian's down that way. Wait with him and I'll bring her back as soon as I can get out of this crap. Oh, by the way, call me Jesse again and I will break that pretty little nose of yours."

"Just because yours isn't so little or pretty doesn't mean you should take it out on me."

Jess smiled. "Remind me to hurt you later."

The meeting was taking place in a large room that had twenty tall chairs on one side and twenty tall chairs on the other side. Each side in a V.

All but three on their side were taken and only six on the human side. Jess picked the first two seats and lift Macie into one. She dug in the pocket of her warm-ups. There was almost always something in her pockets. Her reward, a red tootsie pop. Yeah, not her favorite. Kid just got lucky. The girl's smile lit up her whole face.