chapter fortythree

unbearable

For a long time, they were content to lay in each other's arms. One of his hands lazily running up and down her arm. No more than a few moments could pass without him kissing her. A girl could get use to this.

"Human Jessalynn, Human Julian would like proof of life."

She chuckled. A good friend would rush to see to that situation, but she wasn't ready to leave Kell's arms yet and she knew he felt the same way. His arms tighten around her letting her know he dreaded the thought.

"Tell him all is well. Everybody gets to live. Tell him to keep Hayley quiet and I'll find them later to talk."

"Human Hayley says that is what they would say if they needed more time to hide your body."

Jess rolled her eyes. "That one needs a mate as soon as possible. She has too much time on her hands. Tell Julian when he was seven, I had a huge birthday party. A clown. A jumpy house. All the balloons in the state of Louisiana. A lime green five-layer cake and I only invited him to the party. My mom nearly had a heart attack."

"He says, let him know if you need help hiding a body. Humans have a strange sense of humor. How is hiding bodies funny?"

Jess ignored the machine. She was getting good at that. She propped her chin on Kell's chest. What a fine chest it was.

His thumb brushed over her cheek.

"What do you think they meant when they said you might feel differently once you see my matches?"

"I cannot know, but I meant what I said. You are mine. It matters not who is on the list. It would not be smart for anyone to try and take you away from me."

It didn't matter to her either. The last thing she needed was some more men in her life. Two and a Hayley was more than enough. But she wasn't ready to write them off just yet. She wasn't ready to lose Kellum, but he was still going to need a queen.

"I think we need to start over. It's like you told the four hobbits, if they trusted in your way of life then none of this would have happen. You need to practice what you preach, big boy."

He lifted an eyebrow. "Have I not?"

"Not really. You decided I was the one without even giving Hayden a chance. If you were home, you would be spending time with both of us until you were mated to one of us."

"True but we have never come across numbers like ours before. It would be an unnecessary waste of time to spend time with anyone else. The numbers do not lie. You are the one."

"Then we'll be able to withstand the test of time. Prove it to me, Kell. I want to believe."

He studied her for a long time. "How is it so easy for you to share me when I hate the thought of others spending time with you?"

"Why do you hate it when you already know we belong together?"

Groaning, he pulled her forward so he could press a hard kiss to her lips. "And you are worried you are not a queen. It is not that I fear the outcome. I just do not like it. They can find their own woman."

"Then you don't trust me? If you're right I wouldn't be drawn to anyone else."

"I trust you. I trust us."

"Prove it." She wanted him to prove it to her more than anything.

"Alright but there will be rules."