chapter fortynine

undoing

"You going to be able to hold on to your cookies?"

She glared at Johnny who held up his hands. "It's a legit question. You look a little green."

"I'm over my stage fright. I just remembered that if they don't like it, they can bite me."

Brady threw an arm around her. "Then why are you hugging that trash can?"

She hadn't known she still was. She sat it away from her. "It has occurred to me that I'm going to cry in front of all these asses. I hate that."

"Suck it up. There are worse things."

"What Johnny means is that a true artist is prepared to put blood, sweat, and tears into their music. Anyway, there's no time to up chuck. We're going out."

"Cool."

Chris stepped around them. He was just ready to play. He didn't care about anything else.

Once her eyes adjusted to the dim lights, she found Julian in the crowded room and promised him retribution with a look. Was there anyone he didn't make sure was here? Every damn chair in the room was taken.

She hadn't planned on looking Kell's way, but his eyes were like a magnet to hers.

It was amazing how much a look could say. He was glad to see her. Had missed her. Longed to touch her.

The whole room disappeared around her. Nothing was pushing him a way. A promise.

Peace poured over her and through her.

Tonight, wasn't about her fears or doubts. It was about everyone who was missing from her life. About saying goodbye to her mom. To Danny. And Kellum made her strong enough to be able to do that.

"Are we doing this, honey?"

She gave Brady a nod. Him and his brother have been pushing her about singing. She was the one to decide that if she was going to do this, then she was doing it for her family.

"This one is for my mom." She smiled at Mel. "Our mom. Everyone called her Charlie. This was her favorite song, so you'll have to bear with me, this isn't going to be easy."

The guys around her started up the band.

"She always made me sing it for her. She said that this is how all mothers felt about their kids. I don't know about that. I think we were just lucky that way."

Tears were already filling her eyes.

"I can't imagine any greater fear. Then waking up without you here. And though the sun would still shine on, my whole world would all be gone. But not for long."

She knew the words well; she just hoped all her emotions were there for everyone to feel. For her mom, she would open herself up to everyone and she'd leave none of herself hidden.

Every ounce of love, every ounce of her grief was there in every word.

She was so lost in the song that she no longer noticed the tears running down her face. No longer noticed the crowded room. She was back home in the living room singing to her mom, Mel, and Danny.

Her mom's love would be shining in her eyes. It was always there. All the way to her last breath.

When she came to the end of the song, her eyes were on Kellum's. His eyes held all the love she'd ever hope to see there.