Chapter 19

The Kingdom of Earth
Lucifer's POV

I scanned the house, my stomach dropping as Seth, Airick, and Azazel filed in. "Where is he?!" I turned to Seth.

Seth shrugged. "Probably at the store. It's been a few months. All our food's probably rotten."

I sighed, my vision hazy. I have to stay calm. Stress will cause my condition to get worse faster. "How long until he's back?"

"An hour. The store's a fifteen minute walk, and probably another twenty to shop, plus the fifteen minutes walking back."

Azazel came over, resting a hand on my shoulder. "Should we go?"

I shook my head. "I have to see him."

His brow scrunched, but he said nothing else.

---

As we waited, I took the time to look around Micah's house. It was very simple, but it definitely had his touch. Several pictures sat on the mantel showing Micah, Seth, and two other people, a man and a woman. They were all smiling. Even Seth. "Our parents." Seth said behind me. "They died in a car accident a couple years ago." He smiled but I could see the pain in his eyes.

I thought for a moment. "Well, I've never met them, so they must have ended up in Heaven."

Seth smiled, a genuine smile. "Thanks... Lucy."

I scowled, but gave a small smile nonetheless. Usually, I'd have said something not as nice. It amazed me how much I had changed these few months. It was all thanks to Micah.

Just as I thought this, there was a click of the locked door, the knob turning. Micah came in, several bags on his arms as he pulled the key out of the door. When he turned around, he froze. No one said anything until Micah broke the silence. "W-... What are you doing here?" He started softly, but ended with a bitter tone in his voice.

Wincing at his tone, I came over to him. "I came to apologize."

I offered to take a bag, but he turned away and walked into the kitchen. My arm fell slowly, disappointment clouding my mind. Of course he's angry. But... Why did it hurt so much? I didn't expect his rejection to hurt as much as it did. Maybe... "I love you."

His body stiffened, his arms freezing as they opened a bag to put the food away. I repeated the words. "I... I love you, Micah."

Micah looked around helplessly. Seth shoved his hands into his pockets awkwardly, pretending to whistle. Airick blushed a deep red while turning away, and Azazel pretended to be interested in a picture on the wall.

His face was red, but his eyes narrowed. "I thought it was a fling to you."

His words were sharp, thick with anger. I was quiet a moment. "Well... Maybe, at first. But then I got to know you. Sure, I didn't pick you as my bride, and I was trying to satisfy my boredom-"

"I don't think you're helping the situation." Seth said in an annoyed voice. He wasn't too pleased by my treatment of his brother's feelings.

I continued anyway. "But if I had to choose a bride, I wouldn't choose anyone else. I... I fell in love with your soft personality. How you were always so kind, and sweet, even when you were angry. What I said that night, I was angry at Azazel. I didn't mean any of it. I was an idiot, and I'm sorry. I just didn't want to have to put together a wedding, because... I was afraid."

Micah said nothing, but his eyebrow raised. "I was afraid of admitting my feelings. I mean, it isn't often I fall in love, so I was confused. I didn't want to admit that I was in love, because I wasn't sure what you'd think. Even after you confessed, and after I did too, I was self-conscious. But if it means you will stay, I'd give up my pride forever."

Seth turned to Micah. "Seriously, if you don't accept him after this, I'll drag you down there myself and glue you to the throne."

Micah laughed, despite the tears welling up in his eyes. He turned to me, smiling. "Okay... I'll go back."

I looked at him, a smile growing on my face. Despite the ear-splitting headache I had, I was happy. "But... First let's try again before we confirm the whole 'queen' thing."

Nodding, I felt an odd sensation in my chest. My vision became unfocused, and my breathing labored. I looked at Azazel, and he spoke, just above a whisper. "Two hours..."

Micah paled, rushing over to me. "Lucifer? What's wrong?!"

The last thing I remember was falling to the ground, uttering one word before I blacked out. "M-Micah..."

A/N: Sorry for the long wait, I've been busy lately with preparing for a family trip. That being said, it will be a while before I can update again, since I'll be out of country. I'll try to update during the trip, but make no promises. I'll be gone a month, so if I don't update during the trip the next update will be sometime in August. This goes for all of my stories, so I'll try to update them as well before I leave. Sorry for the inconvenience, and I hope you enjoyed the update!