Snake Eyes {15}

Maxx opened his front door and let me inside. “Hey there Mark,” he said with a smile, kissing me. I smiled back and took my shoes off.

                He took my hand and pulled me into his kitchen where he and Chandler were apparently making ramen. His mom was sitting at the table across from Chandler, typing away at her laptop.

                The phone rang and Maxx’s mom sighed and stood up. She grabbed the phone and answered it. “Hello?” An angry expression came on her face.

                “Oh boy,” Maxx whispered and rolled his eyes. “Here we go. Sorry you have to see this Mark.” He kissed me again and I stared at him curiously. See what?

                “Yes, he’s here. No, you can’t talk to him. You had two years to talk to him Steve!” Maxx’s mom snapped in irritation.

                “It’s my dad,” Maxx whispered and sighed. “I told you she hates him.”

                “Steve, I don’t care! He has company over. Well Maxx is in my custody and I don’t want you talking to him, you dirty son of a bitch,” she cried furiously and hung up the phone.

                “Maxx, get out of my way! I have work to do,” she said and shoved him towards the basement. Maxx stumbled back a little, dragging me with him on accident.

                “Mom, we’re making food,” Maxx whined.

                “Well finish it up and take it downstairs Maxx. You’re in my god damn way and I have a lot to do!” his mom cried.

                “Chandler, grab the bowls and silverware,” Maxx said.

                Chandler hopped up and grabbed three bowls and silverware. He went downstairs and Maxx turned to the stove. He turned it off and finished up the ramen before picking up the pan it was in. He motioned for me to follow him and I did.

                We went downstairs and Maxx set the pan on a table. We sat down and Maxx distributed the ramen and laughed.

                “Sorry you had to see that Mark. My mom gets awful pissy whenever my dad calls the house. I always tell him to call my cell phone, but I think he just likes pissing her off,” he said and snickered, amusement in his eyes.

                “You and your dad are such gentlemen,” Chandler said and laughed.

                And there it was yet again. That stupid knowing look. It was just paranoia, right? I mean, what did his dad have to do with anything?

                “Good old Stephen Falcone,” Maxx said and he and Chandler shared a laugh. “My best friend Stevie,” Chandler said. And the knowing look again.

                Confused, I just silently ate and watched them. Maxx turned to me and smiled. “You’ll have to meet my dad sometime Mark. He lives about an hour away and I’d have to sneak you there so my mom doesn’t kill me, but I think he’d like you,” he said, and shared yet another knowing look with Chandler. Chandler smirked.

                “S-Sure,” I said.

                “Enough talk about Steve. What are we doing tonight?” Chandler asked.

                Maxx shrugged. “Whatever you guys want. I could sneak some liquor down here for us. Just don’t let my mom catch us with it. She’d kill me right about now. I really hope Kojak doesn’t bark.” He sighed.