Part Two

The next morning after a maximum of 3 hours sleep, you dabbed on some concealer to hide bags under your eyes and got dressed. Hopefully you could blame your 'illness' on not looking your best. Once you arrived, it seemed you didn't have to worry. Apparently Nat was a little too good at telling the story that you'd been sick. When you walked into work, everyone was shocked that you were "up and around" so soon. It was like you had the plague or something.

Assuring everyone you were fine, the office was back to business as usual. However, partway through your first day back, a mission report update arrived from Steve. Upon seeing the email, your breath quickened with a twist of your still-tender heart. You sought refuge in the bathroom until the pain in your chest subsided and tears dried.

The rest of your week passed without incident, the only unusual being your lack of visiting the gym. Even without Steve there, too many memories lingered. You kept yourself distracted by catching up on work and spending time with the other Avengers. That weekend, you actually made an effort to go out with friends and socialize. The pain in your chest still lingered, but less sharply than before.

As Monday rolled around, though, there was a different sore of ache within you that couldn't be placed. Midday approached, and you realized it: you missed being in the gym. So much time spent pushing your body to its limits, finding your strengths and weaknesses and then collapsing in bed that night sore but feeling accomplished. Thinking back all those months ago, you remembered that Steve Rogers was not the reason you started training. He was there from the beginning but you came for your own reasons. You just needed to find those again. Checking in with Maria first, you then grabbed your gym bag you kept in the office and headed out.

Squaring your shoulders to face the punching bag, you felt your gloved hands pound the heavy leather, a satisfying smack reverberating through the gym each time. A bead of sweat trickled down your back and you could feel the soreness in your muscles build after being away the past week. Finding yourself in the zone, it took a few moments before the gym's raised noise levels registered in your mind. Looking around, you saw the three Avengers had returned from their mission victorious, tired smiles on their dirt and soot covered faces while others congratulated them. Sometimes they preferred to clean up in the locker room rather than traipse their muck-covered boots and otherwise soiled gear into their own rooms.

You saw Steve's adorable helmet hair almost immediately and his bright blue eyes caught your gaze. Your heart did a strange flop in your chest, as if it had forgotten how to behave. He gave you a smile and raised a hand in greeting, which you returned. You didn't have a smile for him just then, though, still conflicted in your feelings. Turning back toward the punching bag, you paused a moment before resuming your punches. Next came a light run on the treadmill followed by some stretching and you called it a day.

That evening, your phone chimed as you got ready for bed.

Hey, Y/N! Glad to see you're recovered. Up for a training session tomorrow?

The flutter in your stomach had returned, heart still uncertain. Thumbs poised over the screen, you finally pecked out a reply.

The question is, are you? I think you've earned a day off.

Those three dots appeared as he typed, reply popping up quickly.

Nah, I'm good. Plus I hear you've been slacking off. ;)

A small chuckle escaped you at the Captain's use of an emoji, even surprising yourself. Lowering your phone, you considered it. Steve was still offering to train you, probably because he had no idea you had fallen for him, and just because he really was an amazing guy. You couldn't fault him for unknowingly breaking your heart. You alone had fallen with no one to catch you, but he wasn't to blame for that. And when it really came down to it, even after all you had been through...you missed him. Seeing him today even for those few seconds, you felt better than you had for over a week.