1

A/N I wasn't going to publish this, but I have the notorious habit of writing things and then not publishing them, and subsequently not finishing them, and so here it goes! Random inspiration spurred from finishing the Ranger's Apprentice series, and a side story I decided to write and so have been writing instead of my other story I'm supposed to be working on so... ANYWAY, here it goes! First draft unedited mind you, so please don't hesitate to give friendly, constructive criticism!

Will stalked silently through the forest, tracking his prey. "He's good," Will muttered to Tug under his breath.

No kidding.

"Shut up, you're a horse," Will snapped good naturedly.

Fine. Don't ask me next time.

Will smiled wryly, dropping from the saddle to inspect the tracks left by his quarry. They were barely a few hours old, and Will would have to be on a sharp lookout as he drew closer to his prey. "C'mon Tug, we've nearly caught up. I don't think he knows we're following."

"Oh doesn't he?"

A voice cut through Will's thoughts, chilling his blood for a split second as the unexpected noise rattled the young ranger. Will stilled instinctively, then groaned, standing straight. He turned to face Halt, who was looking at him impassively, one eyebrow raised.

"Drat." Will said simply.

"Please. He becomes a ranger then thinks he can best his master at his own house!" Halt exclaimed in mock exasperation. Will grumbled something unintelligible under his breath. After sulking for a few moments he allowed his smile to overcome his young features. Halt's mouth twitched slightly. He was once again stricken by the small hole Will always seemed to leave during their times apart, then subsequently fill when he came visiting. "Good to have you back, Will." He said gruffly.

Will beamed at him, knowing that the simple statement was sincere. "Good to be back." And he was, back in Redmont Fief, not very far from Halt's little cabin in the woods. Will remounted Tug and Halt walked back to where he had left Abelard, and then mentor and apprentice took the familiar road back home.

Meanwhile, worlds away...

"Legolas!" the man's frustrated yell was met with silver laughter, as the wood elf ever evaded him through the trees. In the light of the setting sun Legolas suddenly sprang from his branch, caching the mortal with his back to him, and tackling Aragorn to the ground. They landed with soft thuds on the springy grass and Elrohir laughed.

"Won't you two ever grow up?" Thranduil's bored drawl drifted to them from the table. In the warm summer evening their merry party had set up a nice picnic dinner in the forest.

"Let them play!" Glorfindel exclaimed, slinging his arm over the elvenking's shoulder. Glorfindel was one of the very few who could do such a thing and expect to still be breathing at the end of it. "Let them be young. They have time yet until they grow old and crotchety like some other elves I know."

Thranduil glared at him, a stare that would reduce most to nothing, which Glorfidel met merrily. Then with utmost dignity Thranduil shrugged his arm off, and turned back to the table eating quietly.

"Ada come play, as Lord Glorfindel so kindly calls us!" Legolas urged the king. Thranduil turned his back pointedly to them, engaging Lord Elrond in conversation. Legolas shrugged, disentangling himself from Aragorn and helping his friend up.

"Gerrof you big buffoon!" Aragorn exclaimed, gasping dramatically.

Legolas laughed. "You spend too much time with your brothers. You were not always this dramatic," he mused. Almost as if his words had summoned them, the twins appeared behind him.