49. Why not?

Dick was trembling, he could feel his hands shaking. I'm going to die, I'm really going to... Now that he thought about it, it made sense. Roy, Canary, even Superman, they all knew. They all knew and they didn't think it was important for him to know.

He felt his chest tighten, the world was spinning and oxygen seemed to be toying with him, playing a game of hide and seek with his lungs. As he stared at Batman, Dick couldn't help but wonder... Didn't he trust me?

Did he think I'd mess things up?

Why?

Why?

Why?

The thoughts pounded against his skull, and if he could move, he would have curled up into a ball. Why do I have to die? Gradually, his stare turned to a glare. Talia was here for a reason, the assassins were here for a reason, Slade was here for a reason. What was that reason?

He saw the anger radiating off his mentor, he saw the shock in Roy's eyes, he could feel the amusement behind Deathstroke's cool façade, Talia's triumphant smile.

Dick didn't know if he should laugh or cry. Naturally, he wanted to cry, but he wasn't Robin just because of his suit, he had training. Controlling his emotions, it was a piece of cake. Bruce might not trust him, but he trusted Bruce. Talia obviously want him to breakdown. No matter what, Dick would never allow himself to be used as a weapon against his father. Laughing seemed to be a release, his pain seemed to bubble up his throat, and he couldn't stop it.

Why not laugh? Why not laugh about how crazy everything was? Why not laugh about the fact that I'm going to die? Why not laugh?

Why not laugh? His gaze remained fixed on Bruce's broad shoulders, and a voice buried at the back of his mind whispered back. He won't let you die.

Dick's gaze shifted to Talia's frame, he could feel Bruce's eyes on him. The thirteen year old didn't need to see him to know that his mentor was apologizing and asking if he was okay. Dick didn't want to look at Batman, because if he did he wouldn't be able to hold down the anger and the tears. Bruce probably wanted to get the cure before I could realize what was going on....

Dick wiped furiously at the tears that wanted to slip out from the corners of his eyes. No, I can't cry now. He steeled himself,smiling at Talia. "So that was it?" he fought to get his voice above the level of a whisper. "And here I was thinking that you had something important to tell me."

The acrobat kept his eyes levelled on the assassin. She can't use me to weaken whatever stance Bruce has in this deal.

I will not be dead weight!

-

Oh my Grayson. That's badass.