Part 3

The path to Maluth's cabin was a long one, but it was well worn. We'd not encountered any wildlife, the three little dragons behind me were making enough noise to warn any animal to run away.

Maluth stopped at a little wood shack, it looked no bigger than the room in the tower.

"It's an enchantment, pay no attention to the view."

Jangling keys on a large ring, Maluth turned them until he found the right one. I waited patiently, grateful that we weren't being chased by anything.

With a click of the lock, Maluth pushed the door open and walked in. Beyond the door was a view of a warm and inviting room that was grand and filled with a lot of things.

"Told you so."

"Okay, but I did believe you."

I ushered the babies into the cabin, waiting as Maluth pulled the key out of the lock and shut the door.

"It is important to hide, especially if you've got something to hide."

"What do you have to hide Maluth?"

He hobbled over the stone floor, leaning on the long cane as he dumped the keys onto a small table.

"I hide from other wizards mostly. They don't like it when someone becomes more powerful."

Maluth gestured to the long wood table that sat beside a hearty fireplace. I was already warm, and the little darlings were inspecting it, finding a good place to settle down.

"Sit, I'll brew some tea, and we can discuss the future."

He pottered around the room, collecting things and then returning to the fireplace. Stepping over the dragons was probably something that he'd never done before, but Maluth did it without complaint.

Putting the water into a small urn, Maluth added the tea leaves and set it onto the wire racks above the fire. With a heavy sigh, the wizard stretched up and turned to me.

"Your father isn't well."

"Oh," I said softly.

"If they've been sending knights regularly then it means that it isn't good. With this one actually killing the dragon, it means they've sent the best, knowing he'd get through."

Which means that he could be on death's door. That proved troublesome, I was the heir to the throne. I couldn't kill a knight if I were queen, could I? Duh, of course I could.

"I know you've suffered a lot today Caliphe, but you should be prepared to return to your home and say goodbye to your father. And of course, that other thing."

I nodded, glumly looking down at the dragons. They were blissfully unaware of the dangers of my future. Queen of Thistlewood, a regency that has always been fraught with issues. Thistlewood sat in a prime position that consumed the land from one seaport to another on the other side of the land. The land between was lush and prosperous.

Thistlewood allowed travellers to pass through from one territory to another. We even allowed the merchants to use our roads as a trade route. Of course, there were taxes to be paid, but it was more cost effective than going by sea. And naturally, there were no seafaring rats to plunder the riches of the merchants.

Because of its prime placement and quality land, Thistlewood has always been looked at with keen interest by her neighbours. The kings of the territories either side have stated quite clearly that Thistlewood would make a great addition to their landholdings. My father has been a firm and valiant tactician, he has held them back, and it worries me that his death will have them knocking at the castle gate.