A Ride Home

Lucas's P.O.V

The last performance is just now starting but I'm really not paying attention to who it is. I look back into the audience and see shorty in the back talkin to Taylor. I guess cuzzo came to watch her but Im just now noticing her. I can't even think straight. All I can think about is her singing my mama's favorite song. Everything about her performance, her voice was perfect. I keep replaying it in my mind. Then music snaps me outta my thinking. On the stage its a basketball player I seen earlier in the gym. I don't know what song it is but all of the girls go crazy. I mean they rush up to the stage reaching to touch him like he's  Trey Songz or somethin'. Then the nigga gets on his knees like he was Usher in the " Let It Burn" video. I peep shorty in the back and see that she was feelin the song. Finally ole' dude finishes and he walks off stage. Ms. Bellview comes and thanks everyone and tells us the results will be posted on Monday for Group A & B. We are dismissed and I walk off the stage to try to get to shorty. I'm  going to ask if she needs a ride home so I can  talk to her. And plus if she says no I'll blackmail her for her phone. But as soon as i get into the seats of the auditorium I get attacked by the girls. It takes me a whole 10 minutes to fight them all off and run outside to the parking lot. I see shorty and ole dude talking. I thought I was going blind. She could talk to that nigga.... but when I talk to her I can barely get a full sentence out of her. Nahh thats not how it works , so I go over there to interrupt on purpose.
" Aye shorty Imma give you a ride home since its late so come on".
" Umm ok, nice to meet you Jacob", she says to ole' dude.
" Nice to meet you too lil ma, I'll see you on Monday", he says back to her and smiles and heads to his car."
" Where's my phone?" I hand it to her. We walk to my car and get in. While we're driving I notice she puts in the house adress number in the GPS and it's the house across the street from me and Aunt Mel's new place.
" Looks like we're going to be neighbors lil dude", I say as I'm driving.
" Why do you think that?"
" Your house is across the street from the crib me and my Aunt just moved into. Now we really gonna be Bestfriends, I told you." She smiled a little but didn't say anything.
" So how did you like my rap? I saw you bobbin' your head to it in the back."
" I thought it was good, you wrote that remix right?"
" Yea, I thought I should do something different and take a old throwback and make it into something new. But still keep that smooth type of vibe you feel me."
" I think that was a smart idea". I look at her while we're at a red light and smirk.
" So you giving out compliments now lil ma".
" Well I give props when they're due, dont get geeked". I smiled at her and she looked the other way.
" Your performance by the way..."
" I was really nervous I don't sing in front of people..."
" You coulda fooled me shorty , you did ya thing. Actually I wanted to talk to you about the song you sung."
" Thanks Lucas.... that means a lot to me well coming from you because you got way more experience in music world. And yeah what about the song".
We park in my driveway and I turn to face her. " Well Its.....
Then outta nowhere Armon pops up in the window and scared the shit outta me. Shorty snickered at me.
" Aye bro bro, it's about time yo' lil shoe, big pants bussin' ass got here", Armon says.
" Right TT Mel, been hittin' us all upside the head all day. We been gettin abused I'm bout ready to press charges", Trey says ass he touches a cut on his face. Probably from Aunt Mel. Me and shorty get out of the car. Trey gives me a look and I give him that " be smooth I'll explain her later" look.
" I'm Trey the charming and best looking friend. Its nice to meet you Ms. Chocolate.", Trey says as he grabs shorty's hand and kisses it. This nigga.
" And I'm Armon the smooth operatin' , and the MOST best lookin friend", he says as he grabs shorty's other hand and kisses it. Who do these niggas think they are? Jodeci? Shorty smiles at the both of them. I see my Aunt Mel come walk outside. So I leave them to talk.
" Hey Nunu how was the first day?", my Aunt says as she gives me a hug.
" It was straight , it feels weird to just jump back into school like this."
" You'll be fine, plus this is what your mama would want for you. You know how important getting your education was to her, She's proud of you I can feel it."
" I feel it to". My Aunt starts to cry a little and I wipe her tears away.
" Aye it's ok shorty, we got this", I say and hug her. She smiles and hits me on the forehead.
" Why you bringin lil girls home on the first day."
" TT its not even like that I'll explain to you when we get in the house".
" Mhmm , she don't look like those fast  tail girls you usually mess with."
" She's not she cool people.... when she wanna be. Plus she lives across the street".
" Oh she must be that fine man's daughter that helped me move some boxes in earlier when I almost had to chokeslam Trey for breakin one of my mirrors". I smirk at her and walk back over to shorty.
" Thanks for the ride home, guess I'll be seein you", she says as she turns around to run across the street. I watch her until she gets to her front porch. I wave and turn around to go in the house. Then I hear her call my name; I turn back around.
" And my name is Kayla, Kayla Jones," and she closes the door. I smirk and walk in the house shaking my head. Damn. I didn't even get to talk to her. Sometime tomorrow I'm going to ask her if she wanna hang out with me and the boys to get to know her better. Then I'll pull her to the side. Yeah, that sounds like a plan, because I have to know why she picked that song. After I sit up and talk to my Aunt Mel about it, I go upstairs, shower and lay in my bed. As I drift off to sleep, all I can think about is Kayla and her song.