Chapter 5 - All Aboard

CHAPTER 5

We had not long arrived back in the city of Edinburgh. It had been a long and tiresome journey, and as I climbed off of Valentine, I could barely stand as a crippling pain seared up my legs. It felt like a train had just crashed into my groin.

"Horse riding not quite your thing then?" Leonardo jibed.

"Not really," I managed to force out, my teeth clenched in pain.

It was early hours of the morning, the darkness not long surrendered to the light as an orange glow licked the landscape, shadows appearing behind buildings from where the sun had not yet touched.

I stood there and just gazed for a few moments. If I were to leave with Leonardo and go to his homeland, I would probably never see this country again, never get to fully experience it beyond the walls of a city. It was a very sentimental few seconds until I came to my senses and remembered how badly this country had treated me and so many others.

I would be glad to see the back of it!

A slight smile pulled the corners of my lips and Leonardo noticed.

"Don't worry, you'll love my country. You see this?" he pointed with his finger along the horizon and lowered his voice. "This is nothing compared to Italy. And the food! My mother used to make this thing... sublime... it was a big round bread with tomato and cheese and chorizo and olives! She called it a pizza. I will make you this when we get there, yes?"

My mouth watered at the thought of this... pizza thing. It certainly sounded delicious. I nodded my head vehemently.

"But for now, we must get enough money for the train back to London, and to board a ship. It won't be cheap."

I nodded. "The train arrives in an hour if I remember correctly. Give me one of your pistols."

He hesitated. "Why?"

"We need money."

"Oh, you know of a porn shop?"

"Yes," I said. He handed me the pistol.

"We should get a good price for it, it's a great pistol."

There was a bank on the street just ahead of us. I headed towards it with Leonardo at my side, still nattering on about some drivel about his pistol or Italy probably. He seemed to be in a very good mood which was nice. More chirpy than usual.

I opened the door of the bank, the pistol hidden for the time being underneath my arm.

"Hello," I said to the man behind the counter.

He looked up from counting money and smiled.

"Hello, how may I help you both today?" he asked politely.

I smiled back. "I would like to make a cash withdrawal."

"How much of?"

I pulled out the pistol from underneath my arm and cocked it. "As much as we can carry."

"That was sexy," Leonardo commented, breathless from running as we stopped behind an alleyway. "I wanted to throw you down on that counter and have my way with you right in the middle of that bank." He leaned his head back against the stone wall, eyes closed as he bit his lip. "I think we're going to need a private carriage when we get on that train."

********

We paid for a ticket each at the station and prayed that no one would recognise us yet. We boarded the train but unfortunately, much to Leonardo's disappointment, there were no private carriages.