32. Don't Be Angry With Me

The bright lights of the pack hospital hit my face as I walked through the door. It didn't take long for me to sniff out Owen's scent. Confusion flooded my brain as I passed by my mom's room and still no Owen.

The door to her room was closed so I assumed they were changing her clothes and continued walking.

If Owen wasn't here for my mom, then what was he doing here?

His scent led me to a room all the way in the back of the hospital. The door was slightly cracked, but I could not make out any voices inside of the room. I slowly opened the door and furrowed my brows in confusion.

Owen laid beside Penelope with his arms wrapped securely around her. Her eyes were closed shut as her chest rose and fell at a steady beat. "Owen?" He jumped out of bed and stood to his feet like he'd been caught doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing.

Penelope turned on her side and brought the sheets closer to her neck. "Outside now." I mouthed.

I stood against the wall with my arms crossed after I left the room. Owen joined me shortly after. He closed the door softly, trying not to wake Penelope. "What happened to her?" I asked.

He turned to face me with a cautious expression. "I left a few minutes after you took off into the woods. I was just trying to help." He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. I stayed quiet while I waited for him to compose himself.

"She was just trying to get to the cellar when two wolves attacked her. T-they were touching her Brinn!" He began to shake uncontrollably as he relived the memory. "They were going to make her their own personal whóre! I heard them say it! I had to do it...I had to."

His body began to shake violently. I grabbed a hold of his shoulders and looked into his eyes. "Hey it's okay. You did what any alpha would do. You protected your pack. Your actions are justified Owen. They got what they deserved." He nodded in agreement.

I released my hold and took a step back. I stayed quiet while he got his thoughts in order. Everything I said to Owen was true, but why was it so hard for me to take my own advice? It was an ongoing battle that I couldn't grasp. Terrified of the effects it would have on my mental state.

I pulled back and stared at him wide eyed as a thought crossed my mind. "You love her?" I asked.

Owen straighten as he ran his hand over his face. "I-I don't know Brinn. Everything is so confusing and messed up right now. But yes I do feel something for her." He whispered the last part as he closed his eyes.

"Is that why you were sneaking around?" He opened his eyes and nodded slowly. "Yes. Her parents don't want her to get hurt if we aren't mates."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "I see." He stared at me, waiting for my advice on the situation. "You're going to have to respect their wishes O."

He rolled his eyes as he bit his bottom lip. "I don't have to do anything! They're Omegas, I don't have to listen to them!" His anger began coming to surface as he shouted.

I pushed his chest with all my might, causing him to stumble back a few steps. "Do not be that alpha Owen! Momma and daddy taught us to treat everyone with respect no matter their rank, so just stop it!" His eyes went wide, quickly realizing the words that just escaped his mouth.

"I-you know I didn't mean that." I leaned back against the wall and nodded. "It's okay, just don't forget who you are." He nodded in agreement.

"Everything is so fúcked up." He stood next to me before he slid to the ground. I sighed then joined him shortly after. "Brinn what the héll happened to your face?" He began running his fingers along my cheek. "It's like bright red, shít I'm not a doctor but that doesn't took too good."