Purpose

The two days it took to reach York were absolutely dreadful. I spent most of it sleeping, or trying to sleep. My thoughts took me to Elizabeth, and hoping that she was alright. William did not speak much.

I stared at the countryside. The trees and deep shrubbery that had lined the rocky back roads of Suffolk country had faded to deep green rolling hills. There were large rocks stacked in high formations along side of the road. They were accompanied by signs with words in more languages than I could recognize.

I had been scared to let myself fall into another deep sleep. The dream of Mr. Wellington had haunted me again, and I was determined to push it out of my mind. Instead I let my mind wander to Nathaniel, and if he had wanted me for himself. My heart fluttered at the thought of his touch on me, and his subtle kindness.

We reached York, the largest town in our kingdom. It was spread out amongst the hills. The path was brick here, but a light stone color. The clopping of the horse hooves awoke me from a light slumber. It had taken us less than two days to get here. William pushed on, determined to see me to the final goal.

I peered through the curtains as we passed countless carts and stands with gorgeous amounts of ripe fruit, baskets full of fine linens of all colors, and even jewels with colors I had never even seen the Lady of Weston wear. It was clear York was as wealthy, or more, than we had been led to believe.

The road curved, and gave way to a view of a large building upon the top of the green hill. We got closer, and I saw three buildings separated amongst a large courtyard. At the center was the statue of a man. He held a sword while he knelt, like the knights did during their ceremonies.

The courtyard was bustling with servants. I could see their work gowns growing damp in the hot sun. I felt bad for them.

We pulled up near the central building. It was stone, with a large white door. I felt the carriage shift as William dismounted, and my door was opened by a small boy. He held out his hand to me, and I stepped out.

My light blue gown stuck out amongst the rest of the square. Many of the servant girls turned their heads as not to look at me. The men kept their heads down, none of them looking me in the eye.

I took the small boy's hand, stepping carefully out of the carriage. I couldn't count on Nathaniel to save me twice

"My lady, this way please." The boy's voice was soft. He walked ahead and opened the white door, revealing a large vaulted room, similar to Suffolk's church. On the sides were tables that lined the edge of the room.

At the center of the room atop a single step up platform, was a solitary throne. It was large, with a seat made of iron in the shape of horns, like a stag. It spiked out, towering over anything else that caught my attention. The boy hurried towards a door immediately to the left.

"Your escort is getting your bags, they will be delivered to your chamber this evening. I will take you to the Lady Mary. She is the head of all of the ladies here." I followed him through a large wooden door. It opened up to a brick staircase the wound down into darkness.

I gulped as the boy took a torch, and started lighting small torches along the edges of the staircase. It became well lit quickly, dropping into a series of rooms along a large tunnel. I paused, my heart racing.

"It's not a dungeon.." the boy said softly, looking up at my shaken face. "The master does not use dungeons. These are quarters. All furnished, and very nice." He motioned for me to follow him. My feet moved, my mind still not at ease.

"Where are the lords and ladies of court..? Is court somewhere else, or am-" "Please miss. Mistress Mary will answer all. I do not wish to tell you anything I do not know." And with that, he walked on.

The doors on either side were iron, and the iron bar grates that were once open had wooden panels covering them. The tunnel was clean, well maintained. The end was bright and well lit. There was a large iron door that was opened. He ducked inside, and I followed.

The room was much larger than it had originally appeared. It was lined with racks of dresses, like rainbows against the walls. There were tables with a special glass like large vanities that ladies were using to powder their faces. There must have been a dozen in either side, all young women. It reminded me of one of the whore house dressing room mistress had shown Mabel and I. She asked us if it was what we wanted to do, neither of us wanted to service the men that ran through town for our lives.

I was distracted when a small woman ran up to me and hugged me. I froze, looking down at a pair of silver eyes that met mine.

"Ayla, I am so happy you're here." She squeaked. It was Mary, the same Mary from Suffolk.

"Well it is a small world after all, I suppose." I let out a small giggle. She grabbed my hand and led me to a short stool next to the large vanity glass.

"My brother made a fine choice in his selection. I assure you, you are going to love it here." Her smile was large. It made sense now, the silver eyes. I looked around the room at all of the other girls.

"Is this... is this where we all stay?" I tried to keep my voice upbeat. I was happy for the opportunity to be in the capital. But this was not what I expected when I came to quarters for a lady. Mary laugh very loud.

"Oh no. This is simply a dressing room, we are getting ready for a ball tonight. The ladies of court live where their masters decide. Some are mistresses, and some are nearly around for the pleasure of a lord's eye. The king himself on occasion, has been known to bed a woman. She is treated with the finest silks, jewels, and quarters that are available. Though... it is rare she lasts more than a few weeks, he does tend to get bored rather easily." She scoffed. I blushed.

"Don't fret dear, that's the dream. She who beds King Thaddeus is well off for the rest of her days. Lords, dukes, marquesses, viscounts... they line to wed and bed her after." She sat next to me, pulling out a brush with some ivory colored powder, gently dusting my fair skin.

"You are whiter than a porcelain doll. There are Spanish ladies that would kill for your skin." She smiled. I enjoyed the feeling of the soft bristles on my face.

"Mary," I said in a questioning tone. "Mm-hmm?" She concentrated on my face. "If the king beds a woman, and she is no longer a maid, would those lords no longer want her?"

Her eyes widened. "You're eighteen and you're still a maid? Really. Well, I wouldn't have expected that of such a low born girl." I blushed again.

"My Mistress protected us well, and I never fell in love-" "Ayla. I assure you that your maidenhood will have nothing to do with love." Her words were harsh in my ears.

"But I promise you it'll put you ahead in this game. My brother chose you, and it's my job to make sure you make it to the top." Her voice was nearly a whisper. "And you my dear.. you're going to bed the king."