Chapter Fifty

--------------------

Can't believe we're up to chapter fifty! I haven't written a story this long for ages! Thanks for sticking with it! <3

Dedication: Keyko2 for the beautiful comment you wrote! Thank you <3

Recap:

As mum sat down, we began to pile up the food onto our plate. I could feel mum looking between me and Carrie.

"What?" I asked her, feeling self-conscious.

"I just don't get it," she muttered, glancing between the two of us. "I really don't think you look that alike."

I looked up, meeting the deep, brown eyes of Carrie, to see her grinning at me. I couldn't help but grin back.

It's about time someone said that.

--------------------

My muscles ache as I jog.

Sweat beads across my forehead and runs down the back of my neck. I push myself to do another ten minutes, before retiring. My chest is heaving as I collapse onto the bench. I wipe the sweat from my face with my towel, before taking a drink of water.

Mia joins me on the bench, looking pretty much the same as I do.

"You are so competitive," she breathes.

"Like you can talk!"

We have spent the last hour pushing ourselves beyond our limit, trying to out-do the other. All we have to show for it now is aching muscles and overwhelming exhaustion. 

"So, are you going to tell me what the scouts said to you?" I ask her, attempting to even my breathing out.

"Pretty much what they said to you. I've already made my decision."

I quirk an eyebrow at her. 

"Which is?"

"Hayden has always had his heart set on going to Sydney, so I'm going to Melbourne."

My forehead crinkles as I take in her words. 

"But I thought-"

"I know things have changed between us all but I still like him. I know he's with you and that's not going to change. I'd rather start fresh, away from everyone here," she confesses, her cheeks bright red from the exertion of our work out.

I pause for a moment. 

"That makes sense, I guess."

"We can all keep in touch, but I think Melbourne is where I'd like to go, regardless if I hear back from Sydney."

"Fair call."

"Obviously you're going to Sydney as well, right?"

"That's the plan," I agree. "Apparently Carrie wants to go to Sydney as well."

Mia smiles at me.

"Of course she does."

"I can't escape her," I whine, swiping my hand across my forehead.

"You could come to Melbourne. But long distance relationships don't ever work."

"Sydney is a big place, I think I'll manage to survive with her being there. Besides, she's been pretty nice."

"She isn't nice. Trust me. If she's going to Sydney, it's no coincidence. She doesn't even swim competitively anymore."

I bite my lip as I consider Mia's words. I hope she's wrong.