A Difference

Kayla's P.O.V ( Kayla's Dad in picture above)

I walk in the house and walk straight to my dad's room to let him know that I'm home.
" Dad?" I say as I peek my head through the door. He's sleep in his work chair. Late night case work. But that's to be expected from the best Lawyer in the city. Well I think he is at least. I grab Mom's old blanket, drape it on his shoulders and kiss him on the cheek. Grabbing the coffee mug on his desk next to him, I walk out and place it in the sink on the way to my room. Today has been a long day. For the first time in 2 years I've spoken to people other than my dad. 2 years of silence. 2 years of loneliness. Just this morning I was crying, wishing my Mom was still here. This morning I was praying something would happen to not make me go to school today. A toothache, the flue, chicken pox, the plague something. Anything to keep me from being around anyone else because of the pain that I feel being around happiness. If I can't be happy why should others around me be. I lost a part of me the day my Mom passed. And if no one feels that same hurt, why should I be around? Why should I speak? That's how I felt this morning.... But now I feel completely different. But why? I grab some pajamas out of my drawer and head into my bathroom. After im done showering and put my pajamas on, I get into bed. " God what do you have in store for me." I think to myself. Ever since Taylor took up for me in class today, my attitude took a complete 360 degree turn. Out of the blue I decided to talk. Then I start laughing, smiling and joking around. That's what really shocked me. When I smiled for the first time I knew for a fact something was different. Then I met Lucas and was practically forced to become his guide through the school year. And he agreed to it which took me for a loop. Why would someone like him want to be stuck with me for a whole school year. Shoot, I wouldn't even want to be stuck with myself for a school year. He didn't care about the stares he got when we were walking together or the whispers. And I appreciate that and I respect his " I don't care" type of attitude. Usually stars like him would have completely dissed someone like me. But he stuck around all day and even ate with me. Then he told me I did my thing for my performance. Man nervous wasn't the word to describe how I was feeling. I was straight about to have a full on panic attack my guy. But I chose to sing Next Lifetime, because it calms me down in situations like that all the time. My mom used to sing it to me when I would be scared to sleep in the dark or if anything was wrong with me at all. I sung for her today and afterwards I felt her presence so strong. The last time she sung the song for me was before she had to go into hospice care . I was crying because I sort of knew things weren't going to get any better. I knew that she might not make it but I didn't prepare myself well enough. She said to me that the Lord was calling her home and that she'll see me in paradise. I didn't want to accept the fact that God was taking her away. And after she passed I didnt have any hope left. But today I felt God working through my situation. My eyes got heavier. I turn around to lay on my side. Lucas said I had pretty eyes today. No boy has ever complimented me. No boy has even came that close to me or try to talk to me. And then the school's star basketball player came to compliment me on my performance. Jacob. It feels like its been a decade since we last talked. Something about him seems so sincere. I like that. I can't really figure Lucas out yet but I can see pain behind his eyes. The same type of pain I see in my own. Closing my eyes I thank the Lord for another day and drift off to sleep.

The next morning the smell of breakfast cooking wakes me up. I haven't had a good, cooked breakfast since my mom passed. And my dad can't cook to save his life so what's going on? Am I dreaming? I hop out of bed pull on my spongebob robe ( Yes, spongebob is my favorite) and walk downstairs. I walk into tbe kitchen and see the lady that must be Lucas's aunt and my dad sitting at the table talking and eating.
" Goodmorning Babygirl, come on and get you some of this good food that Ms. Mel cooked for us". He didn't have  to tell me twice. I grab my plate and start piling food on it.
" Its No problem Martin, Its the least I could do to thankyou for helping move into my house yesterday," she said to my Dad. Then she turned to me.
" You must be Kayla, I've been hearing good things about you all morning with yo' lil pretty self"
" Thankyou for cooking breakfast it's really good". She smiles at me.
" You remind me of my sister except you seem more shy then she was. My nephew says that you are going to be his guide for the school year. Im glad they picked you and not one of those fast tail little girls up at the school house." I laugh at her a little and smile. My dad looks at me confused.
" Why didn't you tell me you met a boy yesterday  kay kay. I would like to meet him." I roll my eyes at him.
" Pops its not even like that we're just cool".
" Well I'm glad you're making friends baby girl your mom would be proud of you", he says and kisses me on my forehead. I smile and put my finished plate in the sink. Ms. Mel gets up and grabs her purse.
" It was nice meeting you Kayla. I gotta get on to work but I'll see both of you later." She hugs me and my dad and he walks her to the door. My Dad comes back in to grab his briefcase.
" Im going to work I wont be home until tonight so go have fun I left money on the TV stand for you."
" Ok Dad I love you"
" I love you too kay kay and im proud of you for making friends". He hugs me tight, pulls away and stares at me.
" What?"
" You're starting to look like yourself again and more like your mother everyday." I see a tear falling down his cheek and I wipe it away. I hug my dad again and muff his forehead.
" Go dad before you be late, see you later". He walks out of the door. I turn on my heel after he leaves and run upstairs. I hear my phone ringing. Its Taylor. I answer and we sit and talk for an hour or so. Just joking around talking about everything. After I while she says she has to go to the store with her Mom but she wants to hang out later. I tell her ok and I'll let her know whats up. She hangs up and I take off my robe. I decide to go water the flowers outside, so I grab my watering kettle and head outside with my pajamas on. ( picture below)

 ( picture below)