The first anniversary special - Stannis Baratheon X Targaryen!Reader

A/N- This is a long one, so settle in! Also, thank you all for your support; one year down, and many more yet to come.

Snivelling. You could never stand the snivelling of weak men. At the moment they seemed to surround you, shrouding you in their 'kindness' and 'caring' but all the while grovelling at your feet. Of course, you would be thankful to the men and their wives who housed you and fed your men, but you would be driven half-mad by the snivelling. A majority of these men would bend the knee to whoever reached them first, not truly caring for your own claim to the iron throne, or anyone else for that matter. There were many who questioned your own claim, you were a woman, the first draw back for many, and you were thought to be long dead. The daughter of Rhaegar Targaryen and Elia Martell who was taken to safety by a chamber maid at your Mother's request, shortly before she was killed in her own bed chambers, along with your siblings. Seeing as no one had known of your existence until recent years your claim was weaker than those of the others, and you were well aware that the grovelling in your presence was to make up for what was said before they met you. There was no questioning, upon meeting you, that you had Targaryen blood; you had silver hair that ran down to your waist, violet coloured eyes, and you walked as though you owned the world already. It was this that seemed to draw men to your cause.

"Your Grace, Would you like to sit?" The old man asked, gesturing at the table in the centre of the room. You gave a short nod, taking a few long strides and sliding into one of the wooden chairs. "We have a proposition for you, Your Grace, from Stannis Baratheon," he added. You leant forward in your chair, resting your elbows on the table in front of you and raising an eyebrow at the old man.

"And what has the false King proposed?" you asked, you voice sickly sweet as you dug one of your nails into the wood of the table, dragging it along the grain but keeping your eyes locked to his.

The man shifted on the spot a little, before coming to sit across from you. "He wonders if you should meet, Your Grace, and consider an alliance, to aid you both," he told you, his hands resting in his lap uneasily.

You let out a snort of laughter as you considered what he had said. "An alliance?" you chuckled. "I'm assuming he means to marry me, then?" you pushed and the man shrunk away from you a little as you smiled at him. You were not known to be a smiling person, it was an action that suggested weakness and was saved only for your closest advisors.

"I am not sure, Your Grace, he was not so specific in his writing," he told you, shifting uncomfortably as you continued to smile at him.

"Tell me, Lord Flint, do you know many men who would propose an alliance without expecting a bride in return?" you asked him, sitting back to watch him squirm in his chair.

"No, Your Grace. I hadn't thought of it," he began, speaking until you held up a hand to silence him.

"That seems to be a common problem of your's, Lord Flint," you told him, the smile falling from your face as you raised your eyebrows, as if asking him to finish his sentence. You sighed as he remained in a stunned silence, "Leave me, I need to consider this proposition," you added, waving him away as he bowed and scurried from the room. You rose from your seat once you were alone, pacing around the room with the thought of marriage in your head. You knew you couldn't take the Seven Kingdoms with your own army, they were not yet strong enough, but marrying 'the prince that was promised' would lose you total rule, having to sit beside him as his queen rather than ruling it yourself, and you were hesitant to rule beside the man whose family betrayed your own. Maybe meeting with him wouldn't be all so bad, you could give him your conditions and hear out his before making a decision.

*Time Skip*

"Lord Stannis," you greeted with a small smile, giving him a barely visible nod as he stood before you, taking in your appearance, the silver hair that hung over your shoulders catching his eyes for a moment before he locked his eyes on your violet ones.